+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Rules of Texting...

Rules of Texting...

So I've dated a good amount of time in the past but never a serious relationship. So right now im in my first serious relationship and my god I have a lot to learn lol...

I've been in this relationship for the past 4 months.. Its gotten pretty serious over the last couple of weeks.. Now my question is texting.. Which im not a big fan of but she LOVES to text...

She will NOT text me first..She has once or twice in the past.. But if I dont text first her she wont text.. But she does reply to all my texts.. One week I wanted to see what would happen if I stop texting.. When we met the following weekend she asked why I hadnt texted her all week.

Is this fair? A good or bad thing? Why do I have to text first in order to talk to her? Is this some sort of thing where the guy has to initiate everything? Im I overreacting? I feel like if I text first EVERYDAY im being clingy, which im not. :/

Someone clear up my mind please? lol

Texting is a disease. Its a cheap substitute. Phone talk is a cheap substitute for actual face time and texting is an even cheaper substitute for both. Tell her that you'd like to [talk] to her more and [see] her more. There is nothing wrong with a few texts, but when that is the main method of communication there is a problem. I can't tell you how many arguments have started because I read something out of context because of my mood and vice versa. As far as texting first send her a few, but make sure you tell her that she can text you first too. Just mention it in conversation. Make sure you tell her that you'd like to talk and see each other more too instead of exchanging a hundred texts.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Tell her that you really like the sound of her voice.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Texting is cute if it is done once in a while, if that is the main form of communication then that isnt a good sign. Texting a cute "good morning beautiful" or "thinking of you" is a great thing, but if you are texting more then a couple sentences then there is some sort of communication wall there. Is she scared to talk in person or on the phone? Can she not express herself any other way? It would be something to talk about. Just say yes, you love her voice and you love seeing her pretty face. :-)

Texting is a major form of communication for young people today. I don't think that's a great development, but it's the reality. We have an entire generation growing up with stunted social skills, texting instead of talking, playing console games instead of spending time with other people, and yes, posting on internet forums instead of interacting with the people who are right around us.

EDIT: That said, now that I have cell phone with a slide-out keyboard, I'm getting kind of addicted to texting.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

This is actually a good topic, as texting has become a big part of everyones lives.

Texting is not a substitute for personal communication. If you have something to say, and you ahve a few moments, then call or talk to them in person. Much better for building an intimate bond with someone.

But now if you want to show someone that they are on your mind, and that they are important to you. (Again another way to build intimcay with someone) then you should send them a quick text from time to time. Maybe on a lunch break, or when you get home, or even better, when you are out with your friends.

Something short, sweet and to the point. Like...

Just thinking of you.

I cant get your smile out of my mind.

---

But if you want to talk to her, then call. It will be received much better.

Texting is only an addition and a good choice for some short informative/practical messages, maybe some small updates about the day and sometimes for something sweet/carring. I don't find it a good idea to have conversation via texting. I agree that it's better to talk instead.

As for being the first one to contact. Obviously, she thinks that you should initiate communication, and it's rather normal expectation. It is not clingy and she wouldn't think that you are clingy, if you are contacting her every day. It shows that you care, think about her and many other things, that make girls think that you are interested and it's worth being in relationship with you.
    You are becoming more of a couple now and are in the proccess of building relationship, so it is very natural to keep in touch more.