+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weak Male Characters

Weak Male Characters

Perhaps it's because I run in circles that are more, eh, socially awkward than others (read: nerds), but I thought this article had a lot of interesting things to say about wish fulfillment, and why even films are NOT obvious wish fulfillment (like the indie darling "500 Days of Summer") may be damaging to a guy's evolving sense of reality and how to get girls.

Sample quote:
    "All Tom does is want. And, in this movie, wanting is enough. All Tom needs to do is pine away in his apartment, listening to Magnetic Fields and sketching I.M. Pei knockoffs and wishing that he had a girl as perfect as Summer. And then he gets her! Bam! Through no effort of his own. He just stares at her, slack-jawed, until she falls for him.

At the risk of belaboring the obvious, this is not realistic. Nor is it unrealistic in an encouraging way. The moral of (500) Days of Summer is that all you have to do is want a girl and she’ll be yours. Maybe not forever, but for long enough to be memorable. You don’t have to be smart, or compassionate, or a good provider, or a reliable partner, or drop dead sexy. You just need to wish really, really hard."

[url=http://www.overthinkingit.com/2010/03/03/weak-male-characters]Why Weak Male Characters Are Bad For Women | Overthinking It[/url]

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's because weak males are the ones writing these scripts.

So who's responsible for writing the buckets of crap for those chick flicks then?

At least some movie's sorta better than the "hey, I'm an unpopular dude trying to get with a popular girl" or "popular people with no real relationship problems making a movie about their 'terrible' love lives" movies. However, wishing isn't really enough. Quite an unrealistic movie.

Off topic: OP, you mentioned "indie" and "nerds" in one post. I approve.
    I am homosexual. A lesbian, actually. If you have a problem with that, then it sucks for you. It's not your problem. It's not even a problem. I quite like it this way.

This thread should not be titled Weak Male Characters but rather Film triggered false expectations!

I was thinking the same the other day while watching Grey's anatomy...

Based on this particular TV shows:

when you are dumped you miraculously bump into a new serious love interest.

when you have a one night stand, the guy turns out to be this attractive and intelligent doctor

Combining dating and love relationship with work is possible and does not interact with your professional results

There is a bar next to work where only attractive people are casually having a drink. Pick up lines always work in this bar.

People sleep together in the work place and nobody notices.

The list is endless...
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

the worst for me is twilight, i mean who writes that stuff anyway? its not realistic and its very obsessive love - which isnt healthy i think.

and it makes girls think thats how love should be but its not! takes a lot more than that and takes a bit more maturity aswell.

just my opinion anway!

p.s. and who the hell has heard of a vampire shimmering like diamonds - he's not made from Swarovski for God sake! he's supposed to be a flippin vampire!!

sorry yeah, rant over!

Jag

Bo is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    back to the topic...
    Last edited by Bo; 04-03-11 at 05:10 PM.
    "Sometimes the best way to throw a punch is to take a step back"~Morgan freeman

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That movie actually looks interesting.

4 words for you "Hot Tub Time Machine" check it out...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    That movie actually looks interesting.
    It's not bad actually, i enjoyed it...it was funny in a sad kind of way. lol

Personally I thought that movie was a harsh joke depicting fantasy as reality but I bet it happens all too often.

The reality I've come to know is that the sky's the limit.
    You are your own worst enemy and personal boundary maker.

I've known men who've tried way too hard and still got women to be with them.
    I've known very bad bros who've still yet to learn how to treat a woman properly and yet they get tons of action with very appealing women.

Sometimes Karma isn't a bitch.
    Sometimes the bad buy never gets his due.

I just remember that we're talking about a fictional movie.

Quote Originally Posted by therealjag View Post
    the worst for me is twilight, i mean who writes that stuff anyway? its not realistic and its very obsessive love - which isnt healthy i think.

and it makes girls think thats how love should be but its not! takes a lot more than that and takes a bit more maturity aswell.

just my opinion anway!

p.s. and who the hell has heard of a vampire shimmering like diamonds - he's not made from Swarovski for God sake! he's supposed to be a flippin vampire!!

sorry yeah, rant over!

Jag

^^^ Who writes this stuff? A woman. Nuff said.

Have you seen as good as it gets?
    Check it out. It's funny as well as insightful.

I think Twilight writer is actually an excellent business woman:

She wrote a book targeted to love obssessed teenagers, describing a love story that would tap into what young female teenagers believe 'Love' to be:

obssessive, exclusive, possesive, intense, forever, fusional...

Clever woman...she made a fortune out of it just like Justin Bieber at the moment...so well done to her...
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

I agree. I learnt the hard way that some girls still won't even look at you even if you show them how much you care. And I also learnt that being nice all the time, surprisingly doesn't help much, and it's painful to see how the jerks and popular guys get the girls when they treat them like poop and dump each other in a week. I don't really see a point in those movies anyway.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by SelflessnHumble View Post
    Personally I thought that movie was a harsh joke depicting fantasy as reality but I bet it happens all too often.

The reality I've come to know is that the sky's the limit.
    You are your own worst enemy and personal boundary maker.

I've known men who've tried way too hard and still got women to be with them.
    I've known very bad bros who've still yet to learn how to treat a woman properly and yet they get tons of action with very appealing women.

Sometimes Karma isn't a bitch.
    Sometimes the bad buy never gets his due.

I just remember that we're talking about a fictional movie.

I'm guessing you don't know that real dolls are actually REAL???

There's a documentary on youtube. i'll post it here in a sec, watching the documentary probed me to look farther into this because i thought it just wasn't possible that people like that existed. Boy was i wrong.

That's only part 1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast