+ Follow This Topic

Thread: how can I stop being paranoid about this??

how can I stop being paranoid about this??

Ok, now this might sound dumb but seriously I have always had this issue! To a degree, I care what others think, but only those who I care about or have a crush on. But I get paranoid about others talking about me in front of these people therefore making them think the same thing. Like if someone says I'm ugly and comments on something, I always worry that either my boyfriend/a crush or a friend will change their opinion to this also. Is this normal? How do I stop feeling like this ??? If I can find something to keep me busy then I'm find, but I'm only human so there will be times when I have nothing to do, bt worry I feel like I'm going crazy lol

Well if you are a teenager, what you are feeling is pretty nomal. You have to change the way YOU think about yourself in order to stop feeling this way. Everyone has an opinion about everyone else but it doesn't mean it can change the opinion of others....everyone is a free independant thinker and will decide for themselves what they think. You will not be liked by everyone, but that goes for everyone else so stop singling yourself out. You can't please everyone so stop getting all crazy over it. If you start to have anxiety, just walk away from the situation, don't anylize it. Then count to 30....the feeling should go away. If you still have trouble, think about something positive like your favorite game or how much you love your pet, or someone close to you....think only about good things. If you practise that you will be able to reprogram the way your brain works and things in your life will improve.

Back in my teens me and my girlfriend were in the same class, but there was this asshole who enjoyed throwing paper balls at me from behind, and obviously my girlfriend would always see him do this. I'd always think that I hated more for my girlfriend to see this than actually recieving paper balls to my back heh. . . My girlfriend would defend me always, but still I'd get paranoid about she seeing that, but in your teens it's completely normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabella86 View Post
    To a degree, I care what others think, but only those who I care about or have a crush on.
    Caring what society thinks about you is pretty normal. Caring what your friends and family think is healthy and natural. This only becomes a problem if they think something bad about you, but that is tangential.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabella86 View Post
    But I get paranoid about others talking about me in front of these people therefore making them think the same thing.
    This is not normal. How old are you? If you are young, like an adolescent then this is more normal. If you work on it you can develop that trust in yourself. You need to learn that you are worthy of your friends respect. If they don't respect you, then they aren't good friends. If you are in the young adult range or older, then the problem is a little more serious. You can still probably correct it, but you probably want to seek the help of a therapist. They will be able to better help you overcome your paranoia and anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by AirbenderAang View Post
    Caring what society thinks about you is pretty normal. Caring what your friends and family think is healthy and natural. This only becomes a problem if they think something bad about you, but that is tangential.
    There's a difference between desiring admiration in a relationship and being completely enveloped in compliments and criticism to the point of impacting one's self esteem and/or identity. A balance of independence and accommodation of outside perspectives is of utmost importance.

Yeah I''m not a teen, I'm in my early 20's Though I believe I'm less paranoid now then when I was in my teens. In my teens I was a BIG worrier. But still these day I have issues, like the one I mentioned here, which is probabily the worst. I try to tell myself that people can have their own opinions but I still worry.

Well if it's so bad that it's ruining your quality of life you may have to seek out therapy. Pay a visit to a doctor to get a professional opinion.

If YOUR friends form an opinion about you because of something someone else has
    said, then they are not friends that I would have. Your REAL friends would defend you.

Learn to be more confident and relaxed with yourself ( and it is something that you learn)

When you have self confidence, you will no longer be worried about what other people say, you will
    have moved on and they will be stuck.

Make sure also, that you speak well of others and if you have a negative opinion of someone, keep it to
    yourself or 'try' to say something positive about them. What goes around, comes around!

CraigT aneed4change