+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Feel like I'm at a fork in the road

Feel like I'm at a fork in the road

I'll try to keep it short.

I was dating a girl for quite a few years before we broke up. It's been 2 years since the break up and she still talks to me, and gets upset when I don't call her back. When we hang out with friends she introduces me as her ex and she even says we aren't together. But sometimes she still says things that kind of make it seem like we are together. So I'm confused.

A little while ago she went on a long vacation. When she was gone, I didn't miss her at all. There are things about her that I don't think will change and I can't see myself living with her. Yet, I feel comfortable around her.

I'm kind of also interested in another girl. But I don't know what to do. Looking back there are many forks in the road that I have encountered. And I recognize this as one. I'm always scared of choosing because it always feels like I take the wrong road.

Of course your comfortable with her, you were with her before for quite a while.... that doesnt mean that your meant to be together... you see that she hasnt changed and still has traits that don't work for you. I haven't seen it work with anyone I know who has gone back with an ex... The past is meant to be the past.... there are too many new/exciting/wonderful people out there =)
    Hunter S. Thompson once said "Buy the ticket, Take the ride."

Just some stuff on my mind. My uncle passed away last week he wasn't very old. It came as a surprise to everyone. It feels like every year I lose someone that is close to me and it's really making me think my life over. I have always been someone who does things for other people to make them happy. But I feel like maybe it is time I try to do things to make myself happy. I really want to try to make the most of every day.

Listen, you need to put the past in the past and move on. You know you can't be with this girl. To be honest, she is keeping you around because it makes her feel good. And you know that you are better off moving on completely. I can tell by your post you are completely aware of that. So, go out with this new girl, get to know her and see what happens.
    I am so sorry to hear about your uncle. You are right, btw, you do need to start doing what makes you happy. YOU are what needs to come first. And until you can make yourself happy, you can't really do so for anyone else in a relationship.
    You need to tell this girl to stop doing what she is doing because you are no longer interested. And MOVE ON!
    Good luck.

Your relationship with your ex is simply a friendship at this point. Don't keep yourself from asking someone else out or allowing yourself to feel something for someone else just because of a friendship with your ex.

Regarding your friendship with your ex, it will always have little bits and pieces of things that seem like a bigger deal than they are. And you will always have some feelings for your ex that will make you wonder if it is just friendship or something more. That is simply a consequence of the two of you being such an important part of each others' lives. It is perfectly natural, just don't confuse it for something more.

This doesn't seem as much like a fork in the road as a fear of moving on. Don't be afraid of your romantic possibilities and good luck!
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!