+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Engagement Proposal Ideas?

Engagement Proposal Ideas?

Hi,

I'm going to propose to my gf in a couple of months, and I'm trying to come up with some unique ideas to go about doing this.

A couple ideas I've been bouncing around are:
    - maybe doing a trip to disney and arranging a disney engagement package.
    - going to the place we first met for dinner and doing it there.
    - going by the NYC skyline and having a caricature sketch us in the sidewalk with "will you marry me".
    -etc...

One of her cousin's did a similar proposal where he hired a caricature who pretended to go around table to table at dinner to ask people if they wanted a caricature drawing. He then had a picture of them already made of him kneeling down with a diamond. I really liked this idea but now I definitely can't do it since her cousin already did it.

But I wonder if my NYC skyline caricature sketch in the sidewalk above is a little too similar to his "dinner caricature" proposal?

I'm trying to get a girl's prespective and see what ideas you girls imagine as your perfect proposal. Obvisiouly, I know every girl is different but maybe there are some ideas that you have that I haven't thought about yet that would be good.

I don't want to talk to her about this because I want to catch her off guard, and I don't want to ask any of her friends because I don't want it to leak and get back to her.

Also, about the actual proposal; do you girls rather have a guy have a long speech prepared to say before popping the question, or just a couple words before popping the question, or just go right into popping the question?

Thank you for your insight and help on this!

snowking82

I don't think you should use anything close to the caricature idea. That idea is just way to close to her cousin's. I hope that my boyfriend would do something really unique. Personally I would like it to be somewhere private so there won't be too many people watching. But that may just be me. I would suggest doing something that's symbolic of your relationship. Or maybe something you'd like to do together. For example, I just watched a proposal on a reality show. They liked to fish so the boy took his girlfriend out on a boat. He tied the ring to the fishing line and told her to reel up the pole. It was really cute. A trip idea will also be nice or if you take her to do something she's always wanted to do. Something big like sky diving or mountain climbing. I always like the idea of hiding the ring. I would like if my boyfriend had a small speech, and then maybe silence so the excitement dies down and any suspicion is gone because I figured he would've asked already if he was going to... and then I would find the ring or a will you marry me hidden somewhere.

figure it out yourself, you'll feel better knowing it was your own idea