+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Unconditional love

Unconditional love

Is there such thing like unconditional love in relationships? I don't think it exists. Unlike the unconditional love from parents where you are always their best no matter what. In a relationship, I always hear you have to do something to trade for love, to be something to trade for love, or else it won't last or turn sour.

Some stalkers seems to have unconditional love. They will follow them to the ends of the world. It doesn't matter what the other person does or does not do, they will continue to love them blindly and obsessively. Some people will say that's not love but how can we judge what feelings are they experiencing? It could very much be the same feelings we feel when we are absolutely in love.

Sorry for taking a creepy twist to your query of unconditional love. I don't think unconditional love is something to strive for romantically. We can love humanity unconditionally but when we are talking about a love partner, it's better to place conditions on the other person to keep your love. Or else you would have lost all your self-respect if you don't and you will just be hurting yourself more in the long run.

there is unconditional love. but generally you should save it till you get married and have kids. anything before that is a dangerous thing, might cause you to lose your self. taken advantage of if the other side don't reciprocate.
    agree with Bonfire. human nature tends to be selfish. giving something like that will end up hurting yourself in the long run. just be-careful who you give it to.

What I am afraid of is, even when after marriage, there is still no unconditional love because we always expect the other party to fulfil our expectations, and then negotiations and comprimose. When there is expectation, there is condition.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Unconditional love is a myth. The closest you can get is the love of a parent for a child.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I believe unconditional love, but it only happen when you really meet the true love partner in life... And i believe we surely will meet him/her one day

Quote Originally Posted by acloy View Post
    I believe unconditional love, but it only happen when you really meet the true love partner in life... And i believe we surely will meet him/her one day
    most likely scenario though is: some one gives you unconditional love, you'll take it for granted because it came too easily you treat him/her like a door mat.
    just like a lot of kids take parental love for granted until their parents gets sick or pass away.

Ric is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Unconditional love will often lead to unconditional unhappiness. When you put all your wants and needs aside and just love a person unconditionally, you'll feel miserable.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonfire View Post
    Some stalkers seems to have unconditional love. They will follow them to the ends of the world. It doesn't matter what the other person does or does not do, they will continue to love them blindly and obsessively. Some people will say that's not love but how can we judge what feelings are they experiencing? It could very much be the same feelings we feel when we are absolutely in love.

Sorry for taking a creepy twist to your query of unconditional love. I don't think unconditional love is something to strive for romantically. We can love humanity unconditionally but when we are talking about a love partner, it's better to place conditions on the other person to keep your love. Or else you would have lost all your self-respect if you don't and you will just be hurting yourself more in the long run.
    Thats not love, its infatuation.

No, i dont believe in unconditional love for a spouse, there is always something that can happen to stop you loving that person. I believed in unconditional love until that "something" happened.

I do have unconditional love for my child though.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Agree with the posters above.

Unconditional love for another human being other than your children is unhealthy.
    I loved my first partner, he was an alcoholic. He treat me like absolute crap.. This was because i just loved and cared for him so much. Always taking care of him, when he needed me emotionally i was there, i was always his shoulder to cry on when he had made a mistake.. It was a complete joke! No matter what he did, i cared for his well-being so much i just forgave him when he messed up. I knew he wasnt a bad person.. But he acted badly.
    If i had have known what i knew now, i would have respected myself more and cared more about my own feelings rather than his. Why put someone elses feelings before yours when you have no idea how long they are going to be in your life, how they truly feel about you. Only when he did not treat our child with the respect that was needed i left him.
    Needless to say that man is no longer in my life. He completely blew me and my daughter off. Why did i give him that kind of love? I shouldnt have, that was my problem, not his.

I do have unconditional love for my daughter. It is my job to make sure she has the best in life, to make sure she is healthy and happy. Now when she has grown up, and is her own person maybe my unconditional love will stop. Like it did with my mother and I. Her love did not stop, but she would certainly not put her own feelings before mine and should not be expected to do so. I am my own person now.
    Even in marriage, your partner is a seperate person with their own needs and wants. It is okay to love someone and do anything for that person.. But when it comes to putting someone else before your own needs.. It should not be for any other than your kids.
    I believe so anyway.

I do not believe in unconditional love in romantic relationships. I do, however, believe in unconditional ACCEPTANCE... Meaning, you accept them for their flaws and positives. Accepting them, however, might mean ending the relationship, because you are accepting they cannot change and their flaws may be too great to handle. Love comes from acceptance, but it is not unconditional as it requires far more to flourish.