+ Follow This Topic

Thread: When To Break Off Something Casual?

When To Break Off Something Casual?

Hello all! I have a not-too-dramatic question about when is the right time to break off a casual relationship.

I've been seeing a guy casually for about four months. Within a few weeks, he disclosed that his company was sending him overseas for 6 months to a year come spring, and that he was still feeling a little raw from his last break-up. Due to the circumstances, we agreed to remain casually dating (which means hanging out two or three times a week, making out, going to movies, out to dinner, hockey games with his friends, etc. etc.)

About two weeks ago he suddenly seemed a little distant. I let it lie, and after a few days he called me. "I've been thinking a lot," he said," And I realize we've been hanging out for like four months!"
    "Yes, that is true," I agreed, a little bemused.
    He went on to say that at this point, he felt that he should be more "attached".... that he likes me, but is afraid he is wasting my time because he thinks he doesn't feel as strongly as he's supposed to.

I told him that he wasn't wasting my time at all, as we had agreed to be casual with the understanding he'd be leaving shortly. I've kept hanging out with him because I like him, because I'm enjoying the time we have together, and because it will be nice to end a romantic entanglement without drama or blame.

He said he felt really relieved and wanted to continue on as we had been.

So things were fine for a while. This week his company is sending him to France for a business meeting. Right before he left, he asked me along to a hockey game with his friends. Right before the game he told me that the president of his company revealed last week that he might be selling the company, and negotiations were actually pretty far along. If the company were sold, that might mean he wouldn't move overseas after all.

I'm not sure how to react to this news. I really like him, but the conversation two weeks ago reveals he doesn't feel seriously about me. If he doesn't go overseas, that means there isn't an official point at which to break off our casual relationship.... So when should I? Casually dating him any further WOULD be wasting my time. But I'm unsure of if I should wait and get actual confirmation he's not going, or just do it as soon as he gets back from his France business trip.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by vertical_sky; 23-03-11 at 10:02 AM.