+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are religions become obstacles in relationship ?

Are religions become obstacles in relationship ?

Hi,

I'm new here. Nice to meet u all.
    So, I'm buddhist and my gf is catholic.
    The truth is I don't really put religion as my whole life. But, my gf is otherwise. She is a loyal catholic.
    Problems :
    1. In indonesia, if u married someone then u r married with the whole family.
    Coz, if the family doesn't agree then u can't be blessed.

My parents doesn't like her 'coz her religion.

2. She wants me to change my religion to catholic.
    Coz she thinks that if she married to non catholic then she can't eat sacramental bread.
    Which I recently know that it's ok to married non catholic as long as we married on the church then she still can et sacramental bread. I haven't tell her about this, I'm waiting the right moment.

The 1st problem, I talked and talked to my parents until they become a little bit soft.
    The 2nd problem, well I don't really mind changing religion 'coz in my point of view, I'm a open minded person and religion doesn't bother me. But, to change religion 'coz some false information then I don't wanna.
    I promised her to study catholic, but to believe in catholic 100% I think it's impossible.
    I don't even 100% believe in Buddha.
    U see I don't believe anything magics until I see it with my own eyes. Buddha and Catholic offer some magic.
    Like in Buddha, when Siddhartha Gautama born, he walked on the surface of the water.
    In Catholic, Jesus gave some breads to many many people around him.

Also, I parents doesn't agree if me changing religion coz :
    1. If I change religion then it means me has lower position then my gf. And it's no good, 'coz men can't be lower position than girl. Coz later on, my parents afraid that I will get ordered around by my wife. Some kind of relationship politics.

2. My parents think that catholic's religion is like hypnotism. Coz, if u in too deep in catholic then ur point of view is screwed and can't see the reality anymore.
    In buddhist, if u in too deep then... well u become monks.

What my parents trying to say that, we can't take our religion as number 1 priority in life. Coz religion can't provide rice on the table.
    I can't really explain, I hope u understand what my parents trying to say.

Indonesia is a religious country, coz u can't be atheist in Indonesia. We have 6 religions : Islam, Catholic, Protestant, Buddha, Hindu, and Confucius.
    Even in our ID, we need to put our religion inside.
    So, religion is always become obstables in relationship.

I wonder if religions become obstacles in Europe, America, or other countries.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

If people can't deal with the obstacles that differing religions may face, then don't get involved outside of your own religion....simples!

And converting and simply because someone asks you too (to keep the peace), is the wrong reason to convert.

Converting because you believe, is the 'right' reason.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    She probably won't be allowed to marry you, even if he parents consent. I don't think the Catholic church will allow it.

And to answer your final question, yes. Religious differences interfere with relationships in America, but with much less frequency since so many people don't fully embrace religion.
    Last edited by vashti; 23-03-11 at 08:48 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The Catholic church will allow you to mary a buddhist. You can marry anyone.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm catholic right, my whole family is ... My cousin married a muslim, in church ...Catholic church You can ask for a special permission, but catholic church allows it ,we don't believe in forcing our religion on people who don't want to be catholic ...
    I wazzzz here

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    The Catholic church will allow you to mary a buddhist. You can marry anyone.
    Ahh, you are correct, but I see this sort of marriage is labeled "non-sacramental". What does that mean?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't know, never heard of it

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Ahh, you are correct, but I see this sort of marriage is labeled "non-sacramental". What does that mean?
    You can have a sacramental marriage with someone from other religion . A priest will be happy that someone wants to stay catholic even if they marry some non-catholic .You could be surprised but catholic church can be pretty conciliatory. So many people want to quit the church nowadays that they are happy to keep every "sheep" they can Of course there are exceptions ... Like everywhere
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by xxazurexx View Post
    If people can't deal with the obstacles that differing religions may face, then don't get involved outside of your own religion....simples!
    It's not that simple. A great deal of folks end up falling in love despite their differences, including religion... and it eventually becomes a problem because of family and peers. Telling those people to just "don't get involved" is like telling them to eat shit, you know? Have a little respect.

So, religious matters aren't the only conflicts in relationships. For some people, even different tastes in music can cause a problem. My GF and I are pretty similar, except she has some [what I consider] really weird views about eating meat, protecting animals and saving the world, and all that shit. Every now and then we get into the same endless debate over that stuff, but it really doesn't matter. There is more to love than what you eat, or what god you believe in, and whether you like Baroque or Avant-garde. I know that, unfortunately, when families get involved, it never ends in a good way for the couple. Some couples go out and get married anyway and just deal with their peers' disapproval and others eventually break up from the stress.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 24-03-11 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    It's not that simple. A great deal of folks end up falling in love despite their differences, including religion... and it eventually becomes a problem because of family and peers. Telling those people to just "don't get involved" is like telling them to eat shit, you know? Have a little respect.
    Well it's choosing to follow the heart rather than the head isn't it? And at the end of the day, we all have a choice. We can choose whether to get involved or not.

People fall in love with married people and every day - most make a 'choice' not to go there and because of the consequences that arise.

I've been in one of these relationships Dopp....I know what they are like. And if I had to turn back the clock, I'd have used my 'brain'

Quote Originally Posted by Petit Papillon View Post
    I'm catholic right, my whole family is ... My cousin married a muslim, in church ...Catholic church You can ask for a special permission, but catholic church allows it ,we don't believe in forcing our religion on people who don't want to be catholic ...
    He couldn't have been that strict a Muslim, lol

Quote Originally Posted by c4hyadi View Post
    Hi,

I'm new here. Nice to meet u all.
    So, I'm buddhist and my gf is catholic.
    The truth is I don't really put religion as my whole life. But, my gf is otherwise. She is a loyal catholic.
    Problems :
    1. In indonesia, if u married someone then u r married with the whole family.
    Coz, if the family doesn't agree then u can't be blessed.

My parents doesn't like her 'coz her religion.

2. She wants me to change my religion to catholic.
    Coz she thinks that if she married to non catholic then she can't eat sacramental bread.
    Which I recently know that it's ok to married non catholic as long as we married on the church then she still can et sacramental bread. I haven't tell her about this, I'm waiting the right moment.

The 1st problem, I talked and talked to my parents until they become a little bit soft.
    The 2nd problem, well I don't really mind changing religion 'coz in my point of view, I'm a open minded person and religion doesn't bother me. But, to change religion 'coz some false information then I don't wanna.
    I promised her to study catholic, but to believe in catholic 100% I think it's impossible.
    I don't even 100% believe in Buddha.
    U see I don't believe anything magics until I see it with my own eyes. Buddha and Catholic offer some magic.
    Like in Buddha, when Siddhartha Gautama born, he walked on the surface of the water.
    In Catholic, Jesus gave some breads to many many people around him.

Also, I parents doesn't agree if me changing religion coz :
    1. If I change religion then it means me has lower position then my gf. And it's no good, 'coz men can't be lower position than girl. Coz later on, my parents afraid that I will get ordered around by my wife. Some kind of relationship politics.

2. My parents think that catholic's religion is like hypnotism. Coz, if u in too deep in catholic then ur point of view is screwed and can't see the reality anymore.
    In buddhist, if u in too deep then... well u become monks.

What my parents trying to say that, we can't take our religion as number 1 priority in life. Coz religion can't provide rice on the table.
    I can't really explain, I hope u understand what my parents trying to say.

Indonesia is a religious country, coz u can't be atheist in Indonesia. We have 6 religions : Islam, Catholic, Protestant, Buddha, Hindu, and Confucius.
    Even in our ID, we need to put our religion inside.
    So, religion is always become obstables in relationship.

I wonder if religions become obstacles in Europe, America, or other countries.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    The obvious answer is that ALL RELIGION: divide and enslave people so YES, you are going to have problems.

If she is a little girl that allows her parents to dictate her life: she is not mature enough to have a relationship.
    If YOU cannot respect her religion? Then you will reap what you sow.

Now, imagine a world without "Religion" and I will show you a world without STUPID and pointless wars/mass genocide/death.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    He couldn't have been that strict a Muslim, lol
    No he isn't indeed lol He asked my father to paint him .. Mahomet

Well oficially he is Muslim, but he's albanian Muslim, they are weird . They drink alcohol, but don't eat pork... And they actually are Muslims just when it's comfortable to be one...
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by Petit Papillon View Post
    No he isn't indeed lol He asked my father to paint him .. Mahomet

Well oficially he is Muslim, but he's albanian Muslim, they are weird . They drink alcohol, but don't eat pork... And they actually are Muslims just when it's comfortable to be one...
    That is true, lol

Well it's choosing to follow the heart rather than the head isn't it? And at the end of the day, we all have a choice. We can choose whether to get involved or not.

People fall in love with married people and every day - most make a 'choice' not to go there and because of the consequences that arise.

I've been in one of these relationships Dopp....I know what they are like. And if I had to turn back the clock, I'd have used my 'brain'
    Falling in love with a person of another faith and falling in love with a person who is married are two completely different things. How can you classify them together like that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast