+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative to nagging?

Let him choose the chores and also let him make his own timetable...

Funny my boyfriend does his share house work, lucky I am. Maybe because he didnt have his mummy doing everything for him

Well, some pointers from my experience.

1. Schedules tend to work better than doing it as an own initiative, largely because opinions on cleanliness vary. Usually works, assuming it doesn't demand a hygiene-freak level of cleanliness.

2. And along the same line as that, timing matters. Schedules allow for planning it out, reminders are justified if late but become annoying if not (as they are then considered unfounded and distrustful), and if reminded it'll probably stick but not be acted on immediately - a vocal interruption is one thing, but an active interruption and change of plans can be alot worse.

3. Make sure that you do alot of normal healthy chatting - if nagging is a large part (or only part, god forbid) of talk it exponentially makes it worse, and any future interaction will be linked to negativity.

4. And in line with the previous one - mention it in passing. Don't make the first thing the guy hears after getting off work or waking up being a complaint.

5. Stick to real issues and avoid tiny issues if possible - if you tell a guy something he will usually take it seriously and at fault, but if the issue is very minor it (and future issues) wont be regarded as important.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hello1 View Post
    Funny my boyfriend does his share house work, lucky I am. Maybe because he didnt have his mummy doing everything for him
    The key!

Ask his mom how she ever motivated him to do chores.

If she says he never did any "because she did them all", then guess what: You are stuck with a mama's boy who will not pull his weight around the house until he grows up, if that ever happens.

I must ask: You say he works part time. So that leaves a lot of time at home.

What else does he do that is so "Important" that he cannot help with a few chores and a new born?

There is lack of respect there and I don’t feel that he is in love with you at all. I also wouldn’t put up with it either.
    Maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I do not know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12