+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I've made a mistake

I've made a mistake

I've been in a fantastic relationship for two and a half months now with a very wonderful woman who I love very much. Things are great in so many ways I don't know where to begin.

She is currently away on vacation, and I am keeping an eye on her house, picking up the mail, etc. Today when I was there, I dropped the mail on the kitchen counter, and noticed that her checkbook was there. In a moment of complete lunacy, I took a peek inside. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, I guess I was just curious. It was only for a few seconds, but I did notice the amount of one of her paychecks.

I immediately put it down and closed it back up, and became horrified at my actions. I obviously was not thinking. Here she is trusting me to come into her house, and I breach that trust. I feel absolutely terrible, and wracked with guilt. I have no idea why I did this, and I am disappointed in myself. Lesson definitely learned, and I will never do that again.

I know this was wrong, and I also tend to blow things like this up huge in my head, and my OCD just won't let this go.

Any advice? Thank you...

so.... how much? lol

yes, you shouldn't have done it. but you can't take it back now. what's done is done. it isn't the end of the world. just don't do anything like that again.

Lol, read through the threads on here - it'll put into perspective how trivial what you have done is!

Don't do it again, learn the lesson and move on. Enjoy the fact that you are with the woman you love and it's going well. It's sad to read about people who are going through serious heartbreak over their relationship, a quick look at a chequebook is minor!

The overwhelming guilt I'm feeling is that I am disappointed in myself. I've been working very hard to make this one right, learning from past mistakes. I feel like I've really slipped here by invading her privacy. If I don't say anything, I feel like I have a secret from her and I don't want secrets. If I do tel her, I risk opening a larger can of worms. But also if I tell her, I would think she would appreciate the honesty. I don't know what to do...

If I'm be over-dramatic, please tell me that too. So I gather that most here don't think this is a major transgression?

i wouldn't tell her. everybody has snooped on something they shouldn't have at some point. she probably has. try not to feel guilty. it really isn't as bad as you think :-)

You're being over-dramatic. This is literally nothing. If you feel guilty then tell her what you did and how sorry you are, just say what you said in your initial post. I can't imagine she'll care. Unless, of course, she is as over-dramatic as you are, in which case, live with your guilt and don't tell her. At least not until you've been married for a decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Looq View Post
    I can't imagine she'll care. Unless, of course, she is as over-dramatic as you are
    No, she doesn't do drama at all. Thank you for your responses...

Seriously, man up on this and don't say anything. You are blowing this totally out of proportion!

It's not a question of manning up, it's a question of being open and honest with someone I love very much.

You took a quick look at her chequebook, you didn't dig up and have sex with her dead mother. It's not a big deal! Don't mention anything, move on.

What's the big deal? Does she make more money than you? Who cares? Just let it go.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.