+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Guy looking for girl's advice on marriage/commitment

Guy looking for girl's advice on marriage/commitment

Typical immature guy looking for advice on marriage

Hi, I'm a typical guy with the "afraid of commitment" attitude when it comes to proposal. I have been with my gf for nearly 3 years now I'm about to start graduate school (I'm almost 22), she might or might not live with me when I'm in school so its possible we will be 1 hr apart for 4+ years.

Every time she asks about engagement, I just tried to play it off, and its very immature and selfish of me and not fair at all to her. We talk about marriage and having a family but when it comes to actually proposing, lets just say I haven't displayed a lot of enthusiasm. I love her and see myself with her in the future but don't have the courage to take the plunge.

Advice?

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    1 post only. don't double post.

Well, it is only right to propose when you are truly ready. But she also needs to wait for that.. IF you are planning on being with her for a long time/forever. So, are you planning on proposing one day? Is this the girl you want to marry and you are sure of it? If so, the next time she asks about it make sure you reassure her that is your plans.. But only when you are ready. Let her know that you definitely want to, but when the time is right. That should make her feel better about things and that would be fair.
    If you are not sure whether you realy want to..then you need to sit down and really think about it. Because if you dont, and you are just with her when obviously that is her plans with you.. Then that is unfair in my eyes..
    So i guess its all about what you really want in life? And what your plans with this girl are.
    You have all the weapons you need... Now fight!

That is kinda gutless dont come crying here when she slams the door grow up be a man or stay single until your ready
    Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Contemporary American culture lends to maturing much slower. Don't think any ounce of convincing from us or even yourself will do you any real good.

Being an hour apart for that long will be detrimental to your relationship, married or not, I guarantee it.

Why do you get cold feet at the idea of proposing? Is it because you feel you're still young? Feel you still have fun to get out of your system? Feel this whole hour apart thing will change the relationship?

When you know she is a SURE THING that you want to be with then you won't second guess proposing like this. Analyze what is stopping you and whatever you do, don't ask her to marry you before you're ready.