+ Follow This Topic

Thread: why cant people in relationships just leave single people alone?

why cant people in relationships just leave single people alone?

Obviously not all people in relationships because thatd be a huge generalisation.. but i have been single for a long time because i enjoy it and have to be really into a guy to consider dating him, because im happy with the freedom and my lifestyle. Yet my parents and particular friends in relationships are constantly on my back about getting a boyfriend, like i need one to be fulfilled just because they obviously do. They dont believe me when i say i dont want a boyfriend and my mum constantly tells me i need to mature and get over the party scene. Im only 21 years old, i like being young and i find going out clubbing and having experiences with different guys a lot of fun, n i prefer to hang out with likeminded friends. My friends and family in relationsips look down on me as immature, etc. but I look at what they have and i just do not want that at all, i see what they have as boring and suffocating. I know many people have exciting and fun relationships, but i dont see this at all in the people i know.. they all act like married couples it makes me not want to be around them.

What i just can not wrap my head around, is why some people in relationships think that being single in your 20s is some huge issue n if im not happy they think it must be because i am single. I can get my own dates too, yet one of my friends keeps trying to force me to go on blind double dates with her boyfriends friends and im just not into that, i like to be in control of who i date. Some friends and my family are worried about me that im too fussy and cos the few guys i am into i get screwed over by, theyre all pressuring me to date guys im not physically attracted to, which i just cant do n shouldnt have to do. and when i dont go for the opportunities im not into my mum yells at me saying im going to be single in my 30s and the friends who try to set me up give me attitude about it. They also just dont seem to get that what makes them happy isnt the same as what makes me happy. Personally going on a double date to the movies is not appealing to me at all. Id rather chill with a guy alone, or hook up with guys at clubs.

Can anyone relate to this kind of behaviour cos its driving me crazy that these people keep criticising me and how i live my life, like its wrong just cos they dont agree with it. I dont get on their backs for being in serious relationships so young, wen i dont necessarily agree with their choices so i dont see why they get so involved in my personal life. And can anyone in relationships who mite understand this please lend some perspective as to why they act in this way?
    Last edited by cheeky&sexy; 08-04-11 at 09:48 PM.

The truth is that some people in relationships are jerks. I never had a girlfriend either and I'm closely nearing 25. The girls who find me attractive I do not find so attractive either. People like us are often looked down on as inferior because we do not continue the human race through reproduction.
    Last edited by macunaima; 08-04-11 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by macunaima View Post
    The truth is that some people in relationships are jerks. I never had a girlfriend either and I'm closely nearing 25. The girls who find me attractive I do not find so attractive either. People like us are often looked down on as inferior because we do not continue the human race through reproduction.
    Bwahahahahaha!

Anyways, your only 21, live your life. This is the perfect time to be single and enjoy the single lifestyle. People generally don't look down on you or think you to be inferior for that. I know lots of people your age whoa re single and enjoy the hell out of their life, Including myself. Ignore your family about getting a boyfriend, you'll get one when you get one.

The people who constantly are trying to get you to be in a relationship are saying more about themselves than they are about you. You are happy with yourself and your life as it is, that is great! Don't even worry about what anyone else says. The people in relationships are just thinking about how they would be if they were single at this point, and that is why they are bugging you to get involved with someone. They feel like they need someone else to be complete because they don't feel complete on their own. You feel complete on your own, which not only makes you happier, but when you ever decide to get into a relationship with someone, it will be healthier and more worthwhile for you. I would just let these friends know that they are not helping you and that if they don't like what you are doing with your life, they should leave you be. Glass houses and all that stuff.

Good luck.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

Thanks for the supportive replies guys, when i came back to check this thread i thought i mite get shot down or attacked hahaha. But i agree with all of u and im glad to find more people that can understand. And after a long talk with my mum she finally is more understanding and is gonna back off and she was the only real problem in my family. My brother also talked some sense into her behind my back which helped a lot i think. And im spending more time with my single friends who are like me and get it and we've been having a lot of fun. Its sad that im distancing from other friends in relationships but i think its only natural that people gravitate to the people more similar to themselves.

haha your mum should relax a bit. Nothing wrong with being a sinlge in 30s either! One of my close friends who is in her 30s and married tells me all the time that I don't need a man to be happy. In fact, most friends said that they sometimes wished they were single. Mind you, they all met their husbands at university so they are all one man's girl, which I always wished that it happened to me too.

You are very young. Enjoy and don't pay too much attention to what others say. It's your life!