+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Worst movie to watch when you are heart broken... 500 days of summer

Worst movie to watch when you are heart broken... 500 days of summer

Its like watching your entire relationship on the big screen... followed by your worst fear played out in one of the last scenes.

except not because the very last scene always inspires hope I think. Like... I bawl my eyes out during the entire movie... and then when it ends... I'm like... yeah... new start. Really focus on the very last scene.
    Ted, how do I explain this to you. Last night, I ate the best cake of my life. Do you think I'm gonna let that cake out of my life? Hell no. I'm gonna find out what bakery made that cake and I'm gonna get some more cake.

Quote Originally Posted by seganomics View Post
    except not because the very last scene always inspires hope I think. Like... I bawl my eyes out during the entire movie... and then when it ends... I'm like... yeah... new start. Really focus on the very last scene.
    I don't disagree with you except that life is not like a movie .. there aren't that many of those cosmic moments when you meet someone randomly in a place, have the balls to walk up to them, and then end up dating..its hollywood folks and it has destroyed the modern view of dating and created very unrealistic expectations of what a partner should be and shouldn't be. In real life most of the leading men who play sweet, caring guys who always finish last are complete a-holes.

Quote Originally Posted by BeingAlpha View Post
    I don't disagree with you except that life is not like a movie .. there aren't that many of those cosmic moments when you meet someone randomly in a place, have the balls to walk up to them, and then end up dating..its hollywood folks and it has destroyed the modern view of dating and created very unrealistic expectations of what a partner should be and shouldn't be. In real life most of the leading men who play sweet, caring guys who always finish last are complete a-holes.
    For those reasons, I did not watch the movie mentioned. I thought it would be one of those unrealistic movies. Am I right or wrong? Is there a tad touch of realism in it?

Its not a "love story" in the traditional sense -- like it doesn't work out -- it gives you a hint of optimism at the end though....which is well fine -- but not realistic. How about we chase up with the guy 10 years from now when he is still pining over Summer :-P haha

i think its an amazng post relationship movie!
    sad during, but afterwards your just like "right ... heres to Autumn"
    positivity folks!

Its like watching your entire relationship on the big screen... followed by your worst fear played out in one of the last scenes.
    I think you missed the point of the movie. I think it's a great movie to watch when you are heartbroken. You can seriously relate to the character as he goes through the exact thing. At the end of the movie, the results is realistic, you don't get your ex back. And you get a really good answer from her why she left. And the final scene was great where it reminds anyone that there are other fish in the sea that you will meet. This movie touch on many good points with enough humor to make it entertaining.

Personally I think the Notebook hits even harder. Especially if you're dealing with knowing your ex has somebody else and the thought you still have feelings for each other. Maybe it's just personal to me because I've gone through similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonfire View Post
    I think you missed the point of the movie. I think it's a great movie to watch when you are heartbroken. You can seriously relate to the character as he goes through the exact thing. At the end of the movie, the results is realistic, you don't get your ex back. And you get a really good answer from her why she left. And the final scene was great where it reminds anyone that there are other fish in the sea that you will meet. This movie touch on many good points with enough humor to make it entertaining.
    Well i got the point that she left him because she just wasn't sure -- but I hated hearing from my ex as much as he hated hearing it from her -- it doesn't resolve for him nor me why she didn't feel sure -- its like what did I do wrong, what could I have done differently. The whole idea of "the one" isn't something I agree with on a personal level -- the whole concept to me is BS -- what if the one never meets you, or what if the one is with someone else. If the idea of the one or soul mates were true -- why do 50% of people get divorced? -- didn't they pick the one?

Maybe its the most unromantic view of relationships I could have but my view on it is Love someone for who they are, love them for who they are not -- and be happy -- or spend your life searching for "the one" and find yourself always searching. Anyhow -- I appreciate all the opinions though. Not really interested in watching the notebook. I did watch before the sunrise and lived before sunrise though ... met in Germany, fell completely in 12 days and agreed that the best thing to do would be to never contact each other ever again -- kind of romantic in its one like -- however we both broke the rule almost immediately but decided (pre-facebook days) it would be much easier and more fun just to preserve the memory of those 12 days. We live in complete opposite parts of the world (literally) so it would have been really hard to pull off..however my friend's sister did and married the guy -- shockingly.

Well i got the point that she left him because she just wasn't sure -- but I hated hearing from my ex as much as he hated hearing it from her -- it doesn't resolve for him nor me why she didn't feel sure -- its like what did I do wrong, what could I have done differently. The whole idea of "the one" isn't something I agree with on a personal level -- the whole concept to me is BS -- what if the one never meets you, or what if the one is with someone else. If the idea of the one or soul mates were true -- why do 50% of people get divorced? -- didn't they pick the one?
    Exactly, this movie portray two opposing views that clash but both are valid. Summer did not believe in "the one" or even true love. But yet she found someone and it was magical for her and made her realize it can happen. For some people they do find their true love, "the one". And for the main character, he held the belief in true love but he realize his fantasy was crushed when Summer dump him. All he believe came into doubt. Just as you have at this moment. For some people, true love escapes them. The character finds it hard to accept her answer, but that's life. We can't always get what we want. But her answer made perfect sense, doubts can end relationships. Some people will find true love and some people won't. That's the fact of life. That's another point of the movie. Some people just settle to what they can get. Hence why high percentage of marriages end in divorce. They didn't pick the one and not many are lucky to meet the one. But whether you will be one of the lucky ones, you should still keep moving forward because it is possible. Don't settle because in the long run it won't work out. Keep moving forward the next one might be it... on to Autumn! That's the main point of the ending, move on, be positive, and you never know what the next relationship entails. I always say, I either marry the girl of my dreams or stay single for life. Either outcome is good for me.