+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What do I do?!

What do I do?!

I'm 19 and I've just got out of a relationship (a month ago) that lasted a year and a half. I'm at university so by keeping busy I haven't found the break up too hard, but he seems to have found it very difficult. Anyway, there is a lovely guy at university who I'm very interested in, but I've told him I'm not ready for a relationship yet - mainly because I don't want to be disrespectful to my previous partner but also because I just want to have time for myself to think before I jump into something else. But the problem is, I am on the same course as this guy... let alone living in the same student accommodation. so as you can imagine, seeing somebody every day when you know/ have admitted theres a mutual attraction makes it rather difficult to keep to the 'friend' boundary without it becoming increasingly harder and awkward. I really really don't want to mess this up, I can't help how I feel about him but I don't want to spoil it by rushing it... but i also don't want to spoil it by going too slow! He kissed me the other night, the night before we left to go home for a week for easter. I was really awkward about it as I'm still not keen on starting a new relationship so soon - and I could see how kissing him would mean next time i see him we would kiss again - and therefore we'd be led into the 'relationship' label a bit too soon for me. And now I just don't have a clue what I'm meant to do/ how I'm meant to act when I see him next. But obviously, I really want something to happen in the not too far away future. I'm just terrified he's going to get annoyed with me and the constant awkward moments - I really would handle this better if only I knew how! Anyway, its been 3 days since I've seen him and since the awkward kiss, and obviously (without meaning to sound like a 12 year old) I can't stop thinking about him and about the situation and I'm not sure whether I should cave and contact him? Or do I relax and wait for him to contact me? If anyone could give me advice not just on this but on the whole situation and on the best way forward it would be greatly appreciated!

You need to stop what you're doing and make a decision. If you're ready for a relationship, then go for it. If your not, then stop what your doing because you're just stringing him along and making thing difficult for yourself.

I recommend you take chances with him. He seems to like you and you obviously like him. Yes, you might not feel you are ready to jump into another relationship. But I have lived with regret in pushing a certain girl away because I wasn't ready. She was gone forever. What if she was the one? You see, it's better to know it than to live with not knowing. So take it slow as you can but move forward with it. See where it goes. If you want to call him, call him. Be yourself, that's why he likes you in the first place.

Yeah I've been really worried about stringing him along... Because thats what it feels like that at the moment. It's like He's just waiting for me to hold my hands up and say I'm ready - doesn't feel right at all!