+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liking someone of a different culture/ethnicity

Liking someone of a different culture/ethnicity

First off, how is everyone tonight? I come here looking for some positive reinforcement for my self-confidence...anyway my story is as follows:

I work somewhere where we have cleaners/janitors, and one is a really cute younger Spanish girl, probably 19ish (I'm 24), I know she speaks English because I've talked to her briefly a few times and heard her talk with her co-workers, but the thing is, I have a big crush on her. I normally have no issue asking a girl out but for some reason I can't work the courage up to talk to her and ask her to go out. I've never dated a Spanish girl before so I'm having thoughts going through my head that her family is gonna be big and they all don't speak English or they won't like me because I'm Caucasian, stuff I shouldn't be worrying about, I know, but ugh, I need an extra kick in the pants to get talking to her and put my worries aside! She seems so sweet and don't wanna let her slip away and regret it later!

Um, TALK TO HER?

Dude, she's just like any other girl. Just be sweet and nice and respectful, and don't make too much of a big deal of the differences of cultures.

You're right, I just gotta bust down this ridiculous mental block. I rather be rejected than not know at all!

You never know the outcome until you try. So go talk to her and see where it goes.

At least if things don't work out, you won't have any regrets.

Man up and do work.

I am personally very attracted to people from different cultures. In fact I haven't dated an Aussie guy in about 3 years. Variety truly is the spice of life. Talk to her! And look at it this way you may even get to learn another language and culture without even leaving the comfort of your own house.
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

Quote Originally Posted by affirm300 View Post
    her family is gonna be big and they all don't speak English or they won't like me because I'm Caucasian
    Maybe you'd be better off just dating Caucasians if you're going to hold these prejudices against an entire ethnic group. I don't mean to be a dick, but come on, man. Don't let her ethnicity stop you.

And you don't even know her. It's way too soon to be worrying about meeting her family. Quit thinking that way and just talk to her.

P.S. "Spanish" means "from Spain." Is she actually from Spain, or are you calling her Spanish out of a lack of awareness? That's not a jab at you, I'm just pointing that out. You might inadvertently offend someone with that kind of thing.

Wow!! Pseudo racism / lack of cultural awareness is certainly alive and well in certain parts of the country. LOL..... Yeah Spanish people are from Spain. If you ask her, Id be willing to bet shes from from Mexico or Guatemala, for example.

White people are funny. Dude....where do you live? Im white and I guess its just funny since I live in So California and have only dated a white girl once. Latinas are the best! Ask her out! Dont worry....her family isnt going to kidnap you and turn you into a pinata
    Last edited by surfhb; 11-04-11 at 02:57 PM.

lol ok fine, let's say she's Latina, I don't know what exactly she is, I'll find out exactly when I get to know her. Possible ice breaker! Considering I like foreign music I definitely enjoy different cultures and definitely wouldn't mind dating someone from a different culture, it's just a matter of me getting over this sudden shyness! No offense or racism meant either, that's not the path I meant for this thread to go down!

lol ok fine, let's say she's Latina,
    Okay.

Possible ice breaker!
    NO!!! Ice-breakers are more like, "Hey, you work at my office, right?" Not "Hey, what kind of Latina are you?"

Yep....in fact, you should NEVER bring up her heritage unless she brings it up first. There's no reason to. Id also be willing to bet she was born in the US.

Dating someone from a different culture can be fantastic. I'm English. My GF is French. It's win-win because I get the best of French culture etc and she gets the best of English culture.

If she was a Wookie or something I might understand, but she's Spanish, you're being silly. If you want to ask her our, ask her out. Don't let misconception stand in you way.

Alright, I just did it, don't know how but I did, asked her if she wanted to hang out after work this Friday and exchanged numbers. She said "sure!!"....so all that worrying for nothin'! Thanks guys!

You Da Man!!

Quote Originally Posted by surfhb View Post
    Yep....in fact, you should NEVER bring up her heritage unless she brings it up first.
    Lol, what? I've been asked my heritage before by guys and I've never once taken offense to it, in fact it's kind of fun to tell someone a little of your families whereabouts in history. To tell someone they should never bring it up first is kind of silly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast