+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Bring Myself to Go to the Gym

Can't Bring Myself to Go to the Gym

I've been doing regularly to the gym (12 times a month) since December, and I've gotten to the point where I hate it. I mean I REALLY hate it. Going fills me with dread. Being there fills me with boredom and angst. And yet if I don't go, I feel guilty and fat.

Part of the reason I hate going is because I don't feel like anything is happening. After four months, I'm losing MAYBE an inch a month. It feels like I've plateaued out. I try new exercises, but the fact is I'm not very good at coming up with new stuff to try every week, and the aerobic stuff (running, stair master, exercise bike) bores me to TEARS. I also hate going because I hate seeing all the girls my age who are WAY more in shape and way more attractive than me. (How do they manage to keep perfect hair and makeup during a workout? HOW? I spend the entire time sweaty, red-faced and disgusting. Is it magic??)

But I know I'm SUPPOSED to go. If I don't go, I feel horribly guilty for not taking care of myself and fat.

Anybody experienced this? Have any suggestions?

Speak the the professionals the gym employs, why are you asking a love forum for help?

Cause this is the Health and Well Being section, and gym professionals will only speak to you for a very expensive fee.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Do something physically enjoyable.

Get a dog, and run the dog. Take a boot camp class with a gf. Take up skating lessons. Start snowboarding. Try dragonboating.

You might be more inclined to stay fit in a activity you actually enjoy.

You are comparing yourself negatively to other people at the gym. When you do that, it is no wonder you dread going. Also add the fact that you are struggling with a plateau. It is a frustrating and depressing process. One of the best solutions I can think of is to seek out social support. Are there any potential gym buddies out there? This can work amazingly in staying motivated.When you do work out alone, do you listen to music? A good work out play list can help out a lot.

With plateau's the best way to break past it is to switch up what you are doing. Consider running first thing in the morning, twice a day work out followed by a rest day, interval work, sprints, hill running, different type of cardio, doing low intensity cardio for longer, cardio outside of the gym, swimming, switch up your weight training, etc

Are you getting enough rest? When you are tired everything starts looking bad.

The best way that I know how to lose body fat is to train like a body builder. I would advise you to consider doing more research into how body builders train and eat. They are the experts at gaining muscle and dropping body fat. You don't need to worry about turning into a she-hunk over night. That process takes many years and you will have ample opportunity to stop building muscle whenever you want. If you really wanted you can jump right into a "cutting" phase and that requires getting strict. In conclusion if you are frustrated, switch it up.

A basic guide about how to lose fat without losing much muscle. Also I find the whole forum pretty informative and motivational for me. Hope it helps.
    [url=http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=553453753#post553453753]How to lose fat for Noobs - Part II - Bodybuilding.com Forums[/url]

I think it helps finding somebody to go to the gym with. Then it becomes more of hanging out with your friend AT the gym.

I've been there! kind of.

I obtained a workout video that consisted of extremely intense muscle and cardio workouts that guaranteed results after following the vid 6/7 days for two months. First time I watched it I was on the ground ready to throw up after 15 minutes, but I tried everyday and worked hard and even got my bf to do it with me daily. It was horrid. It was the part of the day that I HATED and it became a chore to dread. After everything all I had to show for it was a few pounds GAINED! (I was told its probably muscle but even if it was it was still very discouraging.)

I changed up my routine and instead would come home from class and play with my wii fit for a little while then I'd go running with my bf around a beautiful golf course/beach/park in the area or switch it up with a different park. So far my weight has fluctuated around the same 5 lbs, so I don't feel like Im losing anything, but I still feel like what I do is fun, gives me energy, and I don't FEEL like a cow. You should take girl68's advice and choose something that will keep you active such as soccer or swimming or badminton, and still be enjoyable. And when you find the new activity don't force yourself to do it, be happy you get to do it! Maybe even after a while of doing something else you'll be glad for when you get to go back to the gym because of all the machines you've missed.

If you're dead set on staying at the gym then you're going to have to make yourself find it enjoyable. Possibly find a friend to do it with you so it will become a fun hangout time, or use it as the only time of day where you can gather all your thoughts and relax mentally.

Weight loss is 95% diet. Doesn't matter how good your workout is, if you're not in a calorie deficit you'll struggle to lose fat.

Diet
    Sleep
    Gym

In order of importance!

First, get a gym mate!
    Also, realize what you're doing. You're attempting to re sculpt your BODY. It's not as simple as you'd like it to be. It takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice. Fat-loss always will hit a plateau, depending on your goals determines how you need to get past your plateau. You'r working out for all the wrong reasons. Worrying about how hot you or others look at the gym?? That's what the mall is for, the gym is where you get "hot".
    READ up on health and fitness methods, their are thousands of databases of exercise ranging from beginner to ridiculous! Stop the excuses, get to business!

Make a trail of jolly ranchers, M&Ms and chocolate chip cookies all the way to the gym.

MrE is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    I'm a bit of a gym rat, and here's what you need to know -

First, stress will destroy your results, quit stressing out about it. If you have a hard time doing cardio in the gym because you're so bored, then take up active hobbies that aren't as boring. Try hiking, biking, tennis, etc. There are tons of ways to get exercise other than running on a treadmill for 30 minutes.

If you are stressed and bored, you probably aren't giving it much effort. You have to really push yourself hard to get max results.

Try working out in the morning, if you don't already. When you work out later in the day you have plenty of carbs stored up that will take priority over fat. Cardio workouts are much more effective in the morning.

Make sure you incorporate resistance training (lifting weights). This is extremely important. You don't have to go for bulk, but do low weight, high rep. It takes more calories to maintain muscle than it does to maintain fat, so by building more muscle you are burning more calories throughout the day, which will also increase your metabolism. Plus, as you build muscle you will pull in loose skin and give yourself much more shape and definition. This is very important.

Dieting right is very important. Don't starve yourself, but don't over-eat. It's easier to go into a calorie deficit by 500 calories than to burn them off in the gym. However, for that sexy bod you're going to have to hit the gym and do weight training.

Sleep is very important.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Life is too short to do something you hate every day. Try doing something else for exercise - I hate the gym, but I love walking in the hills around my house, and I love my dance class. You might try yoga, too. Also, change your diet. Cut out the bad carbs (white rice, white flour, sugar, and corn syrup).
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

i just started doing p90x. they're really fun and intense workouts and i've lost quite a bit of my baby weight. it's designed so that when you start to plateau it gets more intense and changes it up.

you can do them at home too. i am not able to go to the gym nor can i afford it.

it's worth looking into i think.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Havent we been through the reasons you are not losing weight on another thread? Do you have any before and after pics? How overweight are you?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast