+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Whats the best way to get over an ex and when is it to early to start moving on?

Whats the best way to get over an ex and when is it to early to start moving on?

Here's the story, I was with my ex for three and a half years. We mutually decided two weeks ago that he needed to be single because he really wasn't sure of what he wanted out of the relationship. It was something that we've been fighting for the past 1 and a half or so. So it wasn't completely unexpected but considering I thought he was it for me it's been tough regardless. Overall it was a good relationship, he was my best friend and just in general a good person and fun to be around. The relationship had definitely become one sided over the past year with me putting in most if not all of the effort. He agreed which is why we agreed that he needed to be single. He knows that there is a very strong chance that I won't be there if/when he figures out that he wants to be with me and unfortunately that's a risk that needs to happen at this point.

Anyway the point of this thread is that once I realized it was actually over and not him just temporarily freaking out I started an online profile about a week ago on a dating site. More of a way to acknowledge that I was in fact single and also a way of allowing myself to be out there but in safe way and frankly I want to start moving on as quickly as my emotions will allow. I could choose to deal with it or ignore it depending on how I was feeling. It seemed(s) like a good idea. Well I'll admit, two weeks is definitely not enough time to start dating someone else, especially after 3 and a half years. I know I'm not ready because I'm still hoping the ex will call me and confess he's made a huge mistake. But I wonder if dating someone else is the only way to get over someone. I'm not looking to have casual flings or hook ups and right now I'm not looking to have a serious relationship. However there have been a few, at least one, guy(s) that have contacted me on this particular site. I find myself excited and flattered at the prospects of someone else finding me attractive/potentially wanting to date me. But at the same time I know I'm not ready to be dating again. But I guess it couldn't hurt to just talk to someone of the opposite sex and just start thinking about dating again and if it turns into more then great...right? So after that long winded explanation the real question is what is the best way to get over someone? Is it dating someone else? If it is, then what is the appropriate length of time before you do start to go on some dates? Also..is this whole online dating thing a good idea as a way of breaking back into the dating scene? Thanks!

Best way to get over an ex is NO CONTACT. I mean none whatsoever, no txt,no phone calls, no seeing her in person, no looking at her facebook, no wasting time thinking about her. Completely get her out of your mind and life.

It's never too early to move on, it is only what your feelings can permit.

For me, getting laid (and not by the ex) is a good start to moving on. Endorphins, blah, blah, blah.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

I agree with Vincenzo. After 8 years with my ex within 3 months I was having wild sex with somebody else. Makes you forget about your ex

work out, read, hang out with friends..

what helped me was the book "the four agreements" check it out. I feel like it transformed my life.

No contact rule really works. Better still, it is better to FOCUS ON ANOTHER THING. Dating with someone else is not a bad idea, at least you are shifting attention from your ex to other people. Focus on other thing is really the best way to get over your ex
    P.S. I get my ex boyfriend back in less than 2 months. Find out how in http://www.lovetreatment.com

You'll know when you're ready. When you're sick of thinking about the other person, sick of being at home moping and you WANT to go out and have fun. You'll know. As to dating someone, rebounds can be fun but don't go into something knowing you're going to hurt them. You'll just end up feeling shitty about passing on the pain. Or not, depends what kind've person you are =)

Just surround yourself with people you can be honest with. Embrace that breakups are hard as hell and just swirl it around and allow yourself to hurt. Soon you'll get over this phase and your whole life will turn around. I find repressing the pain more hurtful than indulging in it. It has to come out some way sooner or later.

Angry random sex can be extremely therapeutic too.