+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What do expect in a long term relationship

What do expect in a long term relationship

Hello everyone. I've been married for a few years now and feels like the magic and charm that was present during the initial stages of marriage is no longer there. Just want to know what would a woman expect from a man during the long term relationship

What a woman expects in the long-term could get extensive. A partner in everything, basically - someone who is on your team no matter what you're going through - a partner in mischief, in sickness, in finances, in family, etc.

As far as the magic and charm, sometimes we forget romance when we get married. When people are dating, they do a lot of things to make their partner feel special and to draw them to themselves. When we get married, a lot of that sometimes slacks off. It's like, well I already have him/her now.

Maybe a date night would help? Like, a serious date, not dinner after running errands. Make plans with her - "Honey, could I take you out Saturday night?" Get a sitter if you have kids, give her the chance to dress up and feel pretty, and carry her out. Maybe even give her flowers or a small, inexpensive piece of jewelry.

Or, if you guys do stuff like that, do something you would have done when you were teenagers. Grab an ice cream cone, roller blade at the park, buy a couple of bottles of bubbles and go to a park (trust me, its fun.)

Basically, attempt to attract her just like you did before she said "I do."

My hubby and I sometimes plan date nights, and you can feel the difference in the relationship for weeks. We both stay pretty stressed on a daily basis, so we have ground rules - we will NOT discuss work, family, finances, serious plans during the date. If there have been any hurt feelings/disagreements, we leave them at home for the night. We stick to music, movies, jokes, theological discussions, politics, etc. We resist the temptation to run ANY errands, we won't even stop for a gallon of milk if we're driving past the grocery on the way home.

Something else that brings the warm and fuzzies back quickly that my husband does - he sometimes randomly picks me wildflowers. It makes me feel like a 16 year old at prom. lol Like, one day we're driving to the bank to handle some business, and he suddenly pulls the truck over. I'm thinking, "what the?" He gets out, picks this purple wildflower off the side of the road, tucks it into my hair, and pulls back into traffic without saying a word. Took like 1 1/2 minutes. Made my week. :-)

Just some ideas....

Faithfulness.

Expect nothing. It is the expectations we place on others that end up disappointing us. Expecting things won't bring back the magic, it is natural that that dies out. Relationships require work on both sides.
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!