+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is social interaction too confusing?

Is social interaction too confusing?

Why is it that in young people's society, there is a need to look the best in all situations? And to have bravado and ego?

I find it a bit annoying in university, since I cannot be myself fully without somebody getting offended due to "offending" their ego.

Some examples are thus:

- I am standing in line at Subway, and somebody asks for directions to a lab. I genuinely do not know and say as such, but they get offended that I have not shown them maximum respect in the process.

- I sit down in the common study area, and people seem annoyed that I don't acknowledge them.

I've developed a bit of a prejudice against younger people, since to me they're all the same and demonstrate exact personality traits that I commonly despise in people. It's the same old ego, and expecting to be venerated.

By the by, I am 31, so hardly old myself, nonetheless

In those examples you listed, there's no reason for anyone to get offended or annoyed, unless you're being rude or weird. Maybe you're reading a bit too much into people's silent reactions.

But if you despise people and think you're above them, then why do you care about your social interactions with them?

Quote Originally Posted by mrilover View Post
    - I sit down in the common study area, and people seem annoyed that I don't acknowledge them.
    "Seem annoyed" by doing what, exactly?

Maybe your snooty outlook is presenting itself when you interact with others.

I think we all have these problems in one form or another. It's important to try and get to know the person. Attributing problems to a person's personality while disregarding the environmental environment is an issue, this is called the fundamental attribution bias.

Now you have three people responding to you in the same way, and many more in the real world; is it more plausible to say we all have a problem or is it more likely to reside in you.

Here's an exercise I often use when I am confused or irked by the actions of another. When I'm driving and if someone drives aggressively or cuts me off, I make up a reason why they are doing that: they're about to have a child and need to go to the hospital, they are late to an appointment for an important interview, etc. It doesn't mean that they are crazy or psychotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring Haze View Post
    "Seem annoyed" by doing what, exactly?

Maybe your snooty outlook is presenting itself when you interact with others.
    Not snooty, I never am.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveIsALie View Post
    I think we all have these problems in one form or another. It's important to try and get to know the person. Attributing problems to a person's personality while disregarding the environmental environment is an issue, this is called the fundamental attribution bias.

Now you have three people responding to you in the same way, and many more in the real world; is it more plausible to say we all have a problem or is it more likely to reside in you.

Here's an exercise I often use when I am confused or irked by the actions of another. When I'm driving and if someone drives aggressively or cuts me off, I make up a reason why they are doing that: they're about to have a child and need to go to the hospital, they are late to an appointment for an important interview, etc. It doesn't mean that they are crazy or psychotic.
    Or that driver doesn't give a crap and you just have to dust yourself down and move on.