+ Follow This Topic

Thread: It gets better!

It gets better!

Around two years ago I was here. Prior to that I was very much in love for a few years, first relationship, first kiss, first sex, plans for future, blah, blah. Then she left me.
    Things I felt:
    • Must get her back
    • Almost suicidal
    • Why is anything worth it without her
    • No one could be better than her

This lasted for a total of ~9 months. I'm sure some have had worse, and some not.
    During those 9 months I was lame (in my opinion):
    • I cared about facebook
    • I cared about meeting new people
    • finding new love
    • Whined to my friends
    • Started drinking

So why am I writing this?
    It gets better.

Just in case anyone is in a similar situation when it seems like their is no way out; it just ends.
    but how?
    Apparently intense love is linked to a chemical called Oxytocin which effects similar parts of the brain as cocaine and hereon do. With that bit of knowledge, let's use the "love is a drug" analogy.
    If you are using a drug every day and the source gets cut off, you basically have to go cold turkey. The only "advantage" is that the source is fully cut-off, you can't go buy another pack of cigarettes.
    Just wait for the "addiction" to exponentially decay.

9 months is a pretty pathetic time, I'm sure you can reduce it just by occupying oneself with hobbies, or work. Whatever works and doesn't relate. ie: Not romance films. Violent computer games, mathematics, sport, whatever.

Right now, I believe if the relationship had continued I would've been a more boring person. Due to it ending, I changed my college course to a harder one, and started another one at the same time, in addition to starting to work out. I care more about society as a whole. etc...
    The point is if I had to choose whether it happened or not, I'd choose my life now.

Anyway, just writing because of that birthday email they send reminded me of what a lameo I was; I hope it can help someone.
    In summary:
    Wait: it goes away on its own.
    You can speed it up by doing productive stuff.

Great post! Nice one for coming back and sharing, i'm glad it's all worked out for the better for you!

great post. thanks.

Good to hear ;-)

I loved the analogy between love and a drug. It's totally true.
    And you are right it does get better with time. I think 9 months is pretty good, you are doing very well.