+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intelligence

Intelligence

I was quite surprised at what I have been reading on the forums lately. It seems that some of our members agree that being with a girl/guy thats "less smart" then them is important. I am highly surprised by that answer considering that it is a great quality to better yourself through education.

The thread that surprised me the most was the [URL=http://www.loveforum.net/showthread.php?t=5331&page=1&pp=15]"As a guy............"[/URL] thread. Now, if these simple-minded still believe in such an ignorant idea, they have become the object that they desire. Which is a dumb person with a limited ability. If these simple words are to big for them, I would suggest picking up a dictionary and start reading. Since finding a girl thats more dumb then they are will be a hard thing to find.

In my opinion, I would like someone thats just as intelligent or smarter then I. I. At 18, I graduated with a degree in web design. I'm 19 now. In september I'm going back to school for technical engineering.

Do you have a specific desire for what intelligence your mate must have?

Evil School!!
    May not be on LF as much, due to unforeseen circumstances.
    Blame College and Homework for Everything!!
    -Fawn

Do you have a specific desire for what intelligence your mate must have?
    Only that she be at least of similar intelligence to me. My last girlfriend was fun, but I have to say, not quite on the ball. Nothing against her as a person (her personality was great and we had tons of fun together), but it was very frustrating when she "didn't get" my jokes if I referenced something that I would consider to be common knowledge. And it was frustrating that no matter how many times I tried to show her how to use a specific program on her computer or even how to program a number in her cellphone, she just couldn't get it or wouldn't take the time to try to learn.

So I figure for a desire of intelligence, it really doesn't matter to me what degree they have, or what their IQ is, or how fast they can multiply numbers in their head, but rather that they can speak intelligently (not sounding like a dumbass), form cohesive arguments rather than the usual, "Whatever" answer that I get when I try to start a friendly debate with someone, and just have a basic knowledge of what's going on in the world, enough so that the majority of my humor and wit wouldn't fly over their heads and be wasted. Granted my humor isn't suited for everyone, but I'd at least like them to UNDERSTAND that the joke wasn't funny, instead of not understanding that it was a joke at all.

Alexi

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What do you think you're better than us?

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee
    What do you think you're better than us?
    Does WHO (fawn or me) think they're better than WHO (who is US?)? Can you clarify the question please?

Does WHO (fawn or me) think they're better than WHO (who is US?)? Can you clarify the question please?
    Most likely, he's refering to me.
    I don't consider being better then anyone to have any importance in this topic. You didn't even answer the original question. I have my own preferences in what I want in a man. I'm not excluding anyone and I don't consider myself to be better then anyone. I pride myself in my accomplishments and hope that everyone will strive for the best. I was just curious as to how you wanted a partner to be?

Evil School!!
    -Fawn

I agree with Alexi (as usual).

Only, sometimes I think people intentionally act less intelligent than they are. Sometimes it's a matter of knowing how to poke and prod someone into a serious conversation and you can see that they have thoughts of their own too. Most often I think it's lazyness. It's easier to act the fool...requires less change. We resist change, we like the status quo..we don't achieve more than 10% of our potential and to bring out more in us it requires motivation. So even if someone seems stupid or ditzy, maybe there's more than meets the eye there.

Freds

So even if someone seems stupid or ditzy, maybe there's more than meets the eye there.
    How about when you're riding with a girl and she's driving all psycho and you say, "Whoa! Slow down there Mario Andretti!" And she says, "Who's that?" Or when you talk about being a faithful, monogamous relationship and they say, "What's monogamy? Isn't that a type of wood?" Or when you try to explain that in order to figure out a twenty percent tip, you just move the decimal point over one, and then double it, instead of having them dig into their purse and type it out on a miniature calculator that they carry around because they can't do something "times two" if it's not a whole number.

That's not "more than meets the eye". That's frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by sfalexi
    Only that she be at least of similar intelligence to me. My last girlfriend was fun, but I have to say, not quite on the ball. Nothing against her as a person (her personality was great and we had tons of fun together), but it was very frustrating when she "didn't get" my jokes if I referenced something that I would consider to be common knowledge. And it was frustrating that no matter how many times I tried to show her how to use a specific program on her computer or even how to program a number in her cellphone, she just couldn't get it or wouldn't take the time to try to learn.

So I figure for a desire of intelligence, it really doesn't matter to me what degree they have, or what their IQ is, or how fast they can multiply numbers in their head, but rather that they can speak intelligently (not sounding like a dumbass), form cohesive arguments rather than the usual, "Whatever" answer that I get when I try to start a friendly debate with someone, and just have a basic knowledge of what's going on in the world, enough so that the majority of my humor and wit wouldn't fly over their heads and be wasted. Granted my humor isn't suited for everyone, but I'd at least like them to UNDERSTAND that the joke wasn't funny, instead of not understanding that it was a joke at all.

Alexi
    I agree too...
    But depends too what kind of relationship the two of you are, casual/serious/la di da~
    I think everyone in a serious type of relationship likes a bit of a challenge intellectually... It keeps our interests and for some it kinda pushes us to learn a little more of the topic so we can cary the conversation further...
    It'll get pretty boring after a while even with the sex if you're talking about something and your mate gives you a look of a deer staring at a pair of headlights

I'ld rather they where the same level as me.
    But if I had to choose between someone smarter and someone dumber than me, I would pick the smarter one.
    I like to keep intelegent conversations going.

Don't forget there are different types of intelegence.
    The three biggest ones I can think of are;
    Logical Intelegence (maths & science .etc)
    Social Intelegence (Empathy)
    and Artistic Intelegence.

People can be dumber than you in one area, but smarter in another.
    I'ld love someone who was artisticly intelegent, realy creative.
    How can you admire someone if you think you're better than them anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by LucidDream
    I'ld rather they where the same level as me.
    But if I had to choose between someone smarter and someone dumber than me, I would pick the smarter one.
    I like to keep intelegent conversations going.

Don't forget there are different types of intelegence.
    The three biggest ones I can think of are;
    Logical Intelegence (maths & science .etc)
    Social Intelegence (Empathy)
    and Artistic Intelegence.

People can be dumber than you in one area, but smarter in another.
    I'ld love someone who was artisticly intelegent, realy creative.
    How can you admire someone if you think you're better than them anyway?
    I dunno why but when I saw one of his sigs, it just reminded me of this :

So I figure for a desire of intelligence, it really doesn't matter to me what degree they have, or what their IQ is, or how fast they can multiply numbers in their head, but rather that they can speak intelligently
    That's what I was agreeing with.

You went back and gave examples of IQ and number crunching...I was agreeing about the conversation..rational thought, not mathematical ability or a lot of knowledge that may seem like common knowledge to you but depending on your environment growing up, you could be completely clueless on. I consider myself an intelligent individual, but I lack a lot of common knowledge. I didn't know who Mario Andretti was, but I could draw a logical conclusion and do some quick research and now I know who he is. But there are many things I still don't know, and it's not a lack of intelligence, it's merely not having been exposed to it growing up. In my personal situation, I was pretty much brought up as if I was in Mexico and teleported to school and back. My english/American culture learning came from school and TV. We didn't even to go to the movies much, so I don't know things like who Mario Andretti is. But I, in turn, know a great deal of Mexican common knowledge. Jack of multiple trades, master of none, is the way some of us first generation babies grow up. I don't mean to sound defensive about my own intelligence, but the point I'm trying to make is that your examples fell to "knowing stuff" and arithmetic skills, while on your first post you said exactly the opposite.

My point was in agreement to your original one, and I went on to say, sometimes we're quick to label someone unintelligent because they don't know the same things you know,...I'm saying, maybe they grew up differently, but it doesn't make them unintelligent...maybe if you're patient you'll come across an interesting topic he/she can really teach you something about.

Freds

Edit: Lucid's post is kinda along the same lines as mine..but I have to say, I remember in psych class..didn't they also say like athletic ability is a kind of intelligence??
    Last edited by nomas; 29-12-04 at 01:56 PM.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What's to clarify?

In response to Fred's post . . .

You're right. I did give the example of tipping. But that to me is considered common knowledge. When I said 'how fast they can multiply numbers in their head', I was speaking metaphorically. Not literally.

Based on what you said, then you wouldn't have a compatibly intelligence for me. I'm not saying I'm smarter or dumber, just (obviously after seeing your post) knowledgable about different areas. And I'd be more compatible with someone who is knowledgable about the same stuff I know about.
    and I went on to say, sometimes we're quick to label someone unintelligent because they don't know the same things you know,...I'm saying, maybe they grew up differently, but it doesn't make them unintelligent...maybe if you're patient you'll come across an interesting topic he/she can really teach you something about.
    I dated that girl (which the examples were drawn from) for over a year. Because we DID have other topics in common that we found interesting. But it certainly was frustrating at times.

I agree with Lucid.
    Its hard to believe that there are so many different types of "intelligence."

In alexi's case, its good to know that even though this girl he dated was a little frustrating, theres always other things about her that bring interest. The personality she had must have been good. A lot of the time thats what really counts anyways.

Evil School!!
    -Fawn

I personally did not know about the whole decimal thing, well now that you mention it it rings a bell but im just not good in math at all or doing figures im my head or any of that. Shoot some vocab at me or something and im good to go. But i do have my phone caluclator out for a tip. I seriously belive that everyone is good at something and i feel that its important to be on the same level as your partner to some degree. Its important to be able to hold a conversation with your significant other, but if kenny is gonna sit there and talk to me about freaking php and all this computer stuff all that i can offer for the time being is a good listening ear, now if i turn that table and say some crazy medical term to him it will be the same and he will offer and ear to me too.
    It takes a minute to have a crush on someone, an hour to like someone, a day to love someone - but it takes a lifetime to forget someone"

People change and forget to tell each other.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast