+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should you put your picture on your CV

Should you put your picture on your CV

I know it varies depending on where you live. I think generally speaking, people in North American while those in Asia and Europe do.....is that right? I'm applying for internships in web design & development and after much contemplating, I decided to put my picture on my CV (I live in the Middle East). I did a lot of googling on the matter and I really liked what someone said: if you put a picture on your CV and then call to follow up, they can put your voice together with your picture and cv and have an entire person in mind as opposed to having just a piece of paper about you. However, a friend told me not to put my picture becuase it's unprofessional. What do you think?

Mmm, depends - for web design, are you submitting a portfolio of work examples or just a plain paper CV?

If you think it's beneficial and do it well (no silly poses and such), I don't see why not.

I'm still a student and I just got into the whole web design thing so I don't have a portfolio yet. Hopefully I'll get some samples ready during summer vacation. Anyways, I'm not just submitting a plain paper CV. I designed it in Photoshop to show that although I'm a beginner, I'm creative and have potential. I chose my picture very carefully; no silly pose or inappropriate clothes. I don't think it could do any harm.

Can't hurt if you're an attractive female.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No, i never would.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertz View Post
    No, i never would.

Why not? Any particular reason?

Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    I dont' think it's that common in the UK compaired to, what seem to be norm in Asia, for example.

Unless it's specifically requested through a job advertising, I wouldn't either.

I wouldn't. Work experience speaks for itself. Plus, I have long hair and I'm a guy. Sometimes this may ruin my chances of getting hired if I haven't even got my foot in the door.

Unless it is customary, don't do it. Even if you are attractive, it would seem silly. Like doppelgaenger says, work experience will speak for itself.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    Because there just isn't a need for prospective employers to see what i look like.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

I've seen CV's with pictures on them before, so you wouldn't totally be coming out of left field if you included one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillypond View Post
    Unless it is customary, don't do it. Even if you are attractive, it would seem silly. Like doppelgaenger says, work experience will speak for itself.
    Shrug, with the economy the way it is and 5,000 different people applying for some of the better jobs you should do whatever you can to get noticed. Doppel is smart enough to know it wouldn't benefit him so he doesn't do it. A very attractive girl I know was the sole survivor of her entire department getting axed even though she spends most of the day browsing facebook. Looks can be a powerful asset.