+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My friend's ex-boyfriend (now current boyfriend again) is flirting with me... :/

My friend's ex-boyfriend (now current boyfriend again) is flirting with me... :/

Okay, this is an incredibly typical situation but I need advice nonetheless. About a week ago my friend's ex-boyfriend started emailing me - teasing me and generally talking as if he was flirting. He also started adding more kisses every few messages (a clear sign that he's flirting -_-). At the time I thought, why not, because he and my friend broke up several months ago. They were only together for a few weeks, and it was never serious. Also, I was planning on talking to her about it if he ever actually decided to ask me out anywhere. However, I just found out tonight that they have got back together again (they announced it on facebook with their relationship statuses). Obviously I was angry at him for stringing me along like that. :/ Literally 5 minutes after this was up on facebook though, he sent me another message with MORE kisses. :/ I haven't sent him a message since.

So, firstly, should I tell my friend about this? He was accused of cheating on her the last time around (he obviously claimed he hadn't). I really don't want to cause trouble but, guess what, he's making ME feel guilty for something HE'S doing. What a creep. -_-

I don't think you have to mention it unless he steps the line. Technically theres nothing wrong with messaging you like that when hes single and you said you havent messaged back since he's been in a relationship. If he carries on sending messages that are obviously flirting then you should show your friend. If hes doing things like that then she's with a lousy bloke anyway - if you don't and they break up.. well, I'd feel a little betrayed that my friend didn't tell me.

Unless he actually made a pass at you when you were face to face don't consider sending you "kisses" in an email as anything more than type marks in an email. You are the one that has obviously taken the emails for more than his being friendly. I'd refrain from causing trouble unless he actually makes a real live in person OMG pass at you. Now would be a good time for you to ignore what you think is his flirting (even if it's actually not) and just say hi to him in person.

Why do all you young people cause undo drama with this texting and facebook bull shit? If he was accused of being a cheater before why would you even entertain what you considered to be flirts from such an asshole? Were you thinking he'd not cheat on you or did you forget he could have cheated on your friend until he got back with her?
    Last edited by Wakeup; 07-06-11 at 07:05 AM.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Thank you both for your advice. Thankfully I don't see him very often in person, but I probably will now they're back together, so I just worry that it could be awkward. I don't think I've mistaken his messages at all - he definitely seemed like he was interested in me as more than a friend, and this is within the last few days. As far as I know, people do not get back together with their ex-bf or ex-gf overnight, just like that... so he must have been flirting with us both at some point. For now I'm going to talk to him as a friend, and hopefully he stops flirting now he's with her again. Ultimately I just don't want her to get hurt - obviously if he says anything more or tries anything in person then I will tell her what a lousy guy he is.

@Wakeup: stereotyping much? I do not think I am 'causing drama', I just wanted some advice about a small problem which I'm not all that familiar with. I just happened to notice their relationship on facebook. As I don't see or talk to my friend that often, it was the first I'd heard of it. Also - I won't repeat anything he said to me on here, but please trust me... I know flirting when I see it.
    Initially I thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt since he seems genuinely nice, and he DID say before that he didn't cheat on her that time - it was only a rumour by someone who apparently didn't like him.
    As to why I did it - I was being friendly and it eventually developed to flirting. I admit I'm not very experienced with relationships, HENCE why I'm asking advice.

Thanks again for your views.

Unfriend him on facebook then. Solves all the real or imaginary drama that way. I hear this drama everyday from more and more people who think facebook is so wonderful. It's the norm now, not a stereotype at all. Just google "Facebook and Divorce" and see what you come up with.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion