+ Follow This Topic

Thread: We met just days before I moved halfway across the country

Post We met just days before I moved halfway across the country

Let me start by saying I can't believe I am on a website like this. I guess love can make you do crazy things right?

Ok. so here's my story, I'll try and keep it short. I am 19, tried college, didn't like it, decided to move to the mountains in Colorado. Didn't know anyone except the guys I meet on craigslist that are now my roommates, which I still don't know very well. Today marks day 6 of living out here. Got an ok job with an amazing view

Hope you got some time to read because this is a long one.

I was a manager at a Wendy's back in Michigan where I worked with some really neat people. I met this one guy named Chris that I had a lot in common with, and not just things we did but the way we were raised, morals and beliefs, stuff like that. I'm not gay though! So about two years go by and just as I am being transferred to another store Chris' little sister gets a job at the store I am leaving.

My mind explodes when I first see her. I was on a mission to stay single for a long as possible with the intent of moving to Colorado eventually, well that and the lack of interest in bimbo club girls these days. When I see this girl, we will call her Michelle, I have no idea who she is but I am literally walking out of that store for the last time I will work there! I say hi, she says hi as we pass each other through the doorway. I am struck by a desire to go and talk to her again.

I have never been much of a go getter when it comes to girls. I like to bide my time and wait for a friend to become a girl friend. I could not help but make excuses to go back to the store and talk to her. I guess I wasn't even sure what I was doing or what I wanted to happen by talking to her but I enjoyed the small talk so much. A few months go by and we haven't talked.

Bam! Things change quickly in my life and I am headed out to Colorado one way or another. I quit my job and started getting ready to leave.... One month until departure.

I get hungry and I stop at that very same Wendys where this Michelle works, not even thinking about her. I open the door and there she is boasting the most beautiful smile and glowing eyes I have ever seen as she laughs with the other co-workers I once worked with. I start wishing I would have pursued this more! One week until departure.

Michelle is online on facebook. I figure what the heck I am moving away it cant hurt to talk to this girl right? Wrong. I fall in love. I realize in a few short moments that she is everything I have ever wanted in a girl and more. I figure I'm wrong, girls like this don't exist right? Determined to disprove myself I ask her if I could take her out once before I leave for Colorado. She says I kind of just like going for walks. My heart sinks, that is all I wanted to do is walk and talk with this fascinating girl. She agrees to let me pick her up from work one afternoon, a bold move in my mind for a girl to allow herself to be seen that way. I am unusually calm and content seeing her for the first time officially outside of a work/flirty setting. We get to talking and we realize that hours have gone by and we have walked clear around the entire property of our farm, including the tree farm next to us. It was mentioned right away that we both felt like we had known each other for our whole lives and this was simply a refresher course. Its weird I have never felt this way about a girl.

I have done my fair share of dating and "serious" relationships but this is different. This is not dating, no cliche moves or anything. I am trying so hard to resist showing how intensely I feel about this girl. The last thing I want to do is to break a girls heart, or worse make her fall in love just before I leave. I know I can't even kiss her, it just wouldn't be fair as a gentlemen. Then the moment comes when we have to say goodbye. Very weird because it was so sad for both of us and yet we had just met right? Fighting tears back from her eyes I gave her a hug and thanked her for making my last bit of time in Michigan special. I drive away. What just happened?

A mixture of emotions rattled my head as I entered my last weekend in Michigan. A trip was planned to go to Silver Lake, a popular off road vehicle park. My dad kept telling me to be careful on my dirt bike because if I got hurt I wasn't going to Colorado. Did I want that? If I got hurt I would have an excuse to stay in Michigan. I could spend more time with her. I couldn't believe I was feeling that way! Colorado was my dream, has been my dream, is my dream! Nothing was going to compare to Colorado and yet suddenly I wanted to stay in a dump town in Michigan just for some girl? That didn't sound like me at all. I was going to be the guy that never fell in love.

Long story short vacation plans fell through at Silver Lake. I wasn't going to be able to go dirt biking until Tuesday yet I was supposed to leave for Colorado on Monday. Great I can see her one more time! Was all I could think. So we hung out again as soon as I told her the news. This time was just as special except there was this grim truth that hid behind every statement. I am moving tomorrow. We both felt that there was more to this.

I don't know who suggested it first but the idea was thrown out that she could move out there with me. She is still in High School. Its hard to talk about these things, especially since we had just met. We agreed that we were both crazy, but we could make it work. We both know long distance relationships don't work so we agreed to be friends and we would see what happens in a year. Hard concept to follow.

Moving day comes, I say my tearful goodbyes to my dad and grandma. I had packed everything I could into my little Saturn and set off. Most exciting day of my life. As I enter the highway I called Michelle to let her know I was on my way. I was to late and got her voicemail while she was at school. Many hours and loads of tarmac behind me I receive a call. Its her. We kept it light as I continued to drift further and further away with every word spoken. I knew this was only going to get harder as I wished she would appear in my cluttered passenger seat of my car.

Lincoln Nebraska, first stop. 13 hours of driving and I log online to find my sweetie, Michelle, is not on facebook. I call my dad and my brother to update them and tell them how awesome the trip has been so far. I wait. Its 11:30pm in Michigan, now or never, I call Michelle. She was very glad to hear my voice just as I was glad to hear hers.

13 more hours pass as I see the Rockie Mountains for the first time in my life! I settle into this amazing town and apartment with extraordinary views of snow capped mountains right outside my window! This is an absolute dream come true... I wonder what she is doing?

We have talked every day and it is getting harder and harder to pretend this “friendship” is just that. The words “I LOVE YOU” scream in my head after everything she says. I have tried to talk her out of this liking of me and yet she keeps coming back. She tells me things trying to discourage me as well and all I can do is love her more and more. I was never supposed to fall in love.

My dad tells me that we are in the infatuation period of our relationship, which I agree to an extent, but if someone amazes you enough for a long enough period of time that's good right? We have talked more in depth about what will happen in a years time when High School ends and it can range from exciting to saddening to frustrating. Relationships are difficult, they take a lot of time and a lot of effort, my dad used to always tell me. I am ready, punch me in and let me get to work because this girl is here to stay. Its not that easy though I guess.

Michelle's parents are somewhat strict and hate the idea of their kids moving in with other people that they personally don't know. This is understandable to me to an extent. You can't live in a bubble yet you shouldn't put your hand in a blender. I fear though that not all the blame for her thinking it would be hard to move out here should lay with her parents. I think it scares Michelle to think of moving out of state, away from her close family and friends for some guy, as it should. Nothing in life is for certain but sometimes I wish it would be. I know I would be great for her and to her. I would support her every step of the way. I may not be financially in a situation where I could just up and fly her out here but I am willing and ready to hop back in my car drive 24 hours one way to pick her up and bring her out here. I would pay for her first two months rent and help her to find a job. I could set her up at the local college and help to even pay for living expenses for the first while. I would give her the world and all that is in my possession to make her fell comfortable if I could. I want her to share this dream with me. She told me I was becoming a part of her dream. Its perfect then right? Everything is all worked out? Planing something on paper is easy, waiting a year, staying in touch, keeping that spark, and committing to some guy, that's tough. There are so many elements to make this work and I don't have any control over hardly a fraction of them.

She tells me she wants to make things work. I say the same. It will work then right? I told her today that I am willing to do anything to make this relationship work, even if that means giving up on my dreams and my life I have created on my own to be with her. I fear that although we only share a little more than one year difference in our birth dates we are years apart. She is perfect but she tells me that she doesn't know if she is ready to go out on her own yet. I ask you, do you think this is doubt? We all are scared to start things new, come of our own, but is this genuinely her telling me I have to wait a lot longer if I want to start a life with her? I don't want kids yet, I don't want to get married yet, I myself am still a kid so to say, but I am ready to start something that will last, or at least try.

Tell me what you think

Wow, what a touching love story! Gives me warm fuzzies. I completely get where you're coming from, and I'm loving hearing about this kind of story from the guy's perspective (I'm a girl). Just reading it makes me want to fall in love with you lol! I would definitely say, do NOT give up hope or optimism that this will be able to work. I strongly believe that love can overcome so much. Take this from the girl who fell in love with her guy whilst on a year-long school exchange on the other side of the world, had to go back home 6 months later, but still managed to find a way to make it work: we're together 12 years later. Do keep dreaming and planning and talking to her and think positive, hope and plan and keep aiming for the best outcome: what is meant to happen will happen.
    Sending love vibes your way and best wishes for both of you!

See my post 'The One That Got Away' if you're interested.
    Last edited by Lexia; 05-08-11 at 06:43 PM.