+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Who Should Be More Attractive: the Husband or the Wife?

Who Should Be More Attractive: the Husband or the Wife?

Certain scientific studies are claiming that the happiest marriages are when the wife is both more physically attractive and smarter than the husband. The studies says that when observing marriage problem solving in which the man was objectively considered more attractive, he was less likely to compromise and work towards a solution. They explained this was because attractive men have more opportunities for mating and thus are less considered with keeping what they got.

Additionally, it seems that the more attractive a man is, the less likely the wife is to treat him with respect. Less attractive guys are more nurturing and positive with their wives, and thus in turn their wives are nicer and more engaged with them. ([url=http://www.psypost.org/2010/04/happy-marriage-attractive-husband-562]Want A Happy Marriage? Be More Attractive Than Your Husband | PsyPost[/url])

Do you think this is true? Who do you think should be the more attractive partner in a relationship? What does this mean for ugly girls... that they're going to need to start dipping into the mutant gene pool in order to have a happy marriage?

tremolo Guest
    I personally feel more comfortable in relationships where I am moderately more attractive - and slightly smarter or equally as smart - as my partner. Although I think most people would consider me quite attractive, I once dated a runway model, and I can say I've never felt more unattractive or more unworthy in a relationship - even though I had a lot more going for me than he did. Women were always coming on to him, and I always felt like I might be toast at a moment's notice. I feel like men are inclined to be more loyal, and as you suggested, more accommodating, when in a relationship with someone they feel lucky to be with. I only date men now who are attractive, but not too attractive...
    Last edited by tremolo; 10-06-11 at 01:50 AM.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think we are both pretty physically attractive, but I am more book smart, and he is more "street smart".

My GF is definitely smart - she chose me

Smells like bullshit to me. A person's appearance isn't the driving force behind how they behave with his/her spouse. I'm not buying that being more/less attractive is the main contributor, or a contributor at all.

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_sky View Post
    What does this mean for ugly girls... that they're going to need to start dipping into the mutant gene pool in order to have a happy marriage?
    It means you're screwed, once again.

I am not sure how anyone is "objectively" considered more attractive? By its nature, attraction is subjective.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

Does this mean that guys who are both attractive and smart can't have a happy marriage?

Should I consider myself lucky for being just smart?

I think that in general that has a solid basis in truth... but obviously not always.

I'm told (I have no opinion on it) that I'm very attractive. My wife calls me gorgeous all the time... I just see "me" when I look in the mirror and I am so firmly heterosexual that I'm horrible at judging whether or not another man is attractive, so I really can't say... but my wife is drop-dead beautiful and VERY sexy, and I know she's smarter than I am... so where do we fit? We have nothing but respect for each other.