+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I can't let go

I can't let go

Is this normal? I just don't want to feel like a weirdo. I need a friend to talk to about this. I have repressed my feelings for so long that I think it has actually hurt me in the long run. I just can't seem to get over my first boyfriend and the funny thing I don't think i was in love with him. I know it's been almost a year since i broke up with him. I know he is with another girl and that they have been together far longer than him and I ever were. I just can't stop thinking about the what ifs since we had a long distance relationship. I think i have a problem, a severe case of not being able to let go because a year is way too long to be dwelling on a failed relationship that only lasted 2 months. Do I feel this way because he was my first boyfriend or was it something more? I came here before and you all were very helpful. I got the courage to delete him from facebook, but I still can't delete from my life.

First loves take the longest but it may be how it ended, was there any closure, did you break mutually etcc..?
    "If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain"

Emily Dickinson

No I don't think there was closure. I tried to break up with him and he acted like he was cool with it. I didnt break up with him then though, because I also felt guilty since he told me I stood him up on our last date. I then broke up with him the next day because I couldn't take it anymore, I felt like he was taking me for granted. He never said anything. A month went by and he contacted me on facebook. I replied to him at first but then I stopped, I was afraid he woule stop talking to me first and I was confused. After that I was still afraid and we never talked after that. A month later he was already dating someone else. I guess there was never closure

Thats the thing, there was closure because as you said you basically ended it. I think you later regretted it however and didnt know how to communicate that. There is nothing more to be afraid of my dear, if you already know he's with someone else which he has every right to be then you should just move on. If it makes you feel better, you may want to talk to him about it at some point and just get your tru honest feelings out without the hope of ever getting back with him. You should also try dating other people so you dont get stuck feeling like he's the only guy who exists...
    "If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain"

Emily Dickinson

Yeah it is because he was your first bf and you will always have something special with him and you will always remember him . The only way to get over him is to get back out there and look for a new bf . Im sorry you fell this way but good luck.

Yeah i guess since this is the first time I ever had a boyfriend, I just think he is the only guy in the world. Currently I am trying to meet more guys to forget all about him. I wanted to tell how I felt, but my pride got in the way. I feel it is too late now to talk to him and let him know I why I broke up with him. After all he never asked me why and he never tried to get me back. I will try to meet other guys, since that is the best way to move on