+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

Hello I'm new to the group but I need some advice, my bf and I have been taking things slowly. We've been "dating" around a year and we do not live together yet. I have been going through some things health wise and I must say he is a BLESSING. Recently he told me he thinks I need to take a break from my 12hr shift job and focus on school and getting healthy. He even offered to cover my bills if I do not want to live with him (and we have discussed living together and I am considering it BUT I want to pull my own weight, even though he is SO old fashioned). He says it is all up to me, my thing is, I've never had anyone do anything for me, I've always worked and supported myself. I do have a nice bit in savings that would last me a good bit, but Idk how to respond to this. Every time he offers me something or offers to pay for something I refuse and sometimes he'll just do it anyways. Idk how to handle this or how to let a man do something for me. I feel like if I allowed him to do these things I'd be loosing my sense of being a strong independent woman. What would you do?

There's a fine line between being stubborn and being independent.

Do you find it at all appealing to take a break from work and focus on your health more? Do you think he's doing this solely to help you out, or are these offers, in part due to him wanting to bring home the bacon since he is "old fashioned"?

I find it that he is genuinely concerned. He makes sure I go to the doctor and I have everything I need. He is indeed a wonderful man.