+ Follow This Topic

Thread: True love, what does it mean?

True love, what does it mean?

Hi,

If you truly love someone does this mean you would follow them to the edge of the earth if that person had no choice (e.g move to another country) ?

I told my partner that i would for her but she replied honestly with 'no'. I do believe she loves me. However, should i be with this woman, given our different levels of feelings? It can hurt when she tells me things like this.
    Last edited by onelove; 17-06-11 at 09:13 AM.

Why would you leave someone because of a hypothetical question? Are you planning on moving to the end of the earth? Because if you're not then your being foolish.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Its not about the question but rather where we stand in the relationship. She has acknowledged that i love her more than she does me, a lot more. I'm just trying to understand if this will work out in the long run?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, she sounds more pragmatic than you (look it up). Thank her for her honesty; a lot of people would simply say the words without giving a meaningful answer.
    "Ends of the earth for someone" is a bad idea; the only time you should even consider this attitude is if you have children who are dependent on you and you've managed to get yourself into a bad situation. You sound a bit naive and too willing to sacrifice yourself for another. Adults don't do this without extremely good reason and can generally avoid such extreme scenarios with thoughtful planning.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Yes, i have thanked her for her honesty and im not asking for her to change.

'You sound a bit naive and too willing to sacrifice yourself for another'...well, isn't love about sacrifice, giving up things you'd like for the sake of your loved ones. If needed, i'd gladly make sacrifices for my parents, children and significant other.

There is making sacrifices and then there is sacrificing your sense of self. If for what ever reason something occurred that meant I had to follow my man 'to the ends of the world' (which don't exist by the way, we have known the Earth is round for quite some time now) I would do it but I would do it with a heavy heart. But you may as well ask if she would travel to the ends of the universe with you.

In most relationships, one often loves a little more than the other, especially in the beginning. This is not a bad thing, it's just the dynamic of things.

Love is about sharing a life together. Not about giving up your own life. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices for love, but most of the time it is simply an adjustment to our lives to let in someone you want there.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by onelove View Post

'You sound a bit naive and too willing to sacrifice yourself for another'...well, isn't love about sacrifice, giving up things you'd like for the sake of your loved ones. If needed, i'd gladly make sacrifices for my parents, children and significant other.
    No. Its not about sacrifice, its about mutual growth. Eyes side by side looking together towards that horizon, if you like metaphors.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I understand what you mean. If you loved someone, and for example if you were married to the love of your life, would you stay with them through thick and thin. For example, if they got shot in the war defending their country and were permanently injured. I've thought about this before, and I have had love in past relationships that I could honestly say I would still love them and stay by there side, without a doubt. I guess when it all comes down to it we never really know till we are tested. Some people will not suffer for another. If they are not happy and therefore it is not "fair", which in today's society, it just seems if things aren't going to be picture perfect people are gone with the wind. I know it sounds bitter.

I think it is ok for you to evaluate your relationship from time to time but if it is too early for these type of declarations of devotion, it can be hard for someone to reciprocate because they may feel they are being insincere and the declaration of devotion loses it's value.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That kind of devotion in a committed marriage, with the requisite shared history, is very different from dating, tho.

@ OP - find the sticky called "shining knight syndrome" in the general love forum.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What is love

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    What is love
    ... baby don't hurt me...
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    ... baby don't hurt me...