+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Advice please

Advice please

Unbiased advice please on ways people have successfully stopped thinking about their ex. I would like to get get thru today without doing it and so far Im doing well but still have tonite, this wknd etc...thanks
    "If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain"

Emily Dickinson

get into somthing thats going to take your time up. work wont, it will buzzkill ya. strart working out or get a work out buddy. the push pull between ya to will help get ya mind off things cuz you'll have to think of other things.

ive bought and sold atvs, parted them out for money on the side. it took alot of my time up on top of working out and going to visit friends. i was very busy. the key to get ya mind off who ever it is on is do somthing else. it will help ya realize you cant change a thing but accept it and forget it.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    get busy they busier you are the less time and opportunities you have to sit around and dwell.

Only problem when working out is I play music that sometimes makes me think of him, unless its totally hardcore rap or hiphop, which I do. I guess thats a new post, what music to forget about your ex as well...lol

Emily Dickinson

Put an elastic band around your wrist and as you go about your busy activities, if he creeps into your mind, snap the elastic hard and then consciously re-direct your thoughts to something else. It's called Aversion Therapy and it works if you consciously do the mental work.

Join a co-ed baseball league or some other sports that interests you... there are lots of fun and healthy people that will keep your mind keen on what you're doing and you'll get to meet new people in the process of keeping mentally busy and physically healthy.

Good luck.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Do things that make you happy and explore doing new things or venturing to places you have never been before....remember to bring a positive friend.

Sounds like it may be time to repaint your bathroom or do some major home improvement projects.

Definitely do things that you enjoy. Preferably things that you have enjoyed before being with your ex. Sometimes a quest (trying to track down something elusive like an obscure soda from your childhood or something) will keep your mind occupied.

Good luck.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

All very good and interesting, the rubberband thing is pretty funny, guess i could try that or just slapping myself repeatedly lol..

Emily Dickinson

I love all of these suggestions! And I didn't even write the post lol

I know exactly what you mean! Music is the worst! I did the same thing you did with one of my breakups. Rap or hiphop really got my mind off an ex several years back. Also, sometimes it can be good to just don't have any music! Silence can be golden. Or maybe download a mix of songs with an "I'm an independent woman" feel

Whenever my mind wanders I start thinking of the bad times and reasons we are not together rather than torture myself with the happy moments. And rather than thinking I am missing out on something by not being with them I think of all the opportunities ahead and the people I have yet to meet.
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

Quote Originally Posted by pisces25 View Post
    Whenever my mind wanders I start thinking of the bad times and reasons we are not together rather than torture myself with the happy moments. And rather than thinking I am missing out on something by not being with them I think of all the opportunities ahead and the people I have yet to meet.
    This is actually good advice, but harder to follow the fresher the breakup.