+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: antidepressents

Anti-depressants actually pushed me over the edge and that's when I attempted suicide. I'll never take them again. But everyone has different reactions. Hope they work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Riku View Post
    Anti-depressants actually pushed me over the edge and that's when I attempted suicide. I'll never take them again. But everyone has different reactions. Hope they work for you.
    well this morning i felt like murdering people.. but obviously I was able to control it.. but im just starting it so we shall see....

DH, you are currently in what I like to refer to as 'side effect city'. As someone who played with psychedelic substances in my teens and early 20's I loved being where you are. But when you are not prepared for it, side effect city is a weird place to be.

What you are currently experiencing can be described as a mild ecstacy effect. It will last up to a couple of weeks. I have personally found over my years of experimenting with trying to find the right balance of anti depressants that it is the trip to side effect city that actually shakes up your mind set the most. When it fades you may experience some disappointment. What you will find in a few weeks though is that the lows don't seem quite so low. A negative side effect for some is that their highs don't seem as high, but I think attitude can get you past that. Some people seem to take anti depressants to try to stop them from feeling at all. Personally I take them so hitting rock bottom doesn't devastate me so much.

For some, anti-depressants are a life time prescription. I think I am one of those people because I spent so much time messing with my brains chemistry as it was growing. I think I will always need medical help keeping everything balanced. For others, they just need to be reminded what content feels like so they can maintain it for themselves.

Oh and I too am on lexapro. The best anti-depressant I've been on.

Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    DH, you are currently in what I like to refer to as 'side effect city'. As someone who played with psychedelic substances in my teens and early 20's I loved being where you are. But when you are not prepared for it, side effect city is a weird place to be.

What you are currently experiencing can be described as a mild ecstacy effect. It will last up to a couple of weeks. I have personally found over my years of experimenting with trying to find the right balance of anti depressants that it is the trip to side effect city that actually shakes up your mind set the most. When it fades you may experience some disappointment. What you will find in a few weeks though is that the lows don't seem quite so low. A negative side effect for some is that their highs don't seem as high, but I think attitude can get you past that. Some people seem to take anti depressants to try to stop them from feeling at all. Personally I take them so hitting rock bottom doesn't devastate me so much.

For some, anti-depressants are a life time prescription. I think I am one of those people because I spent so much time messing with my brains chemistry as it was growing. I think I will always need medical help keeping everything balanced. For others, they just need to be reminded what content feels like so they can maintain it for themselves.

Oh and I too am on lexapro. The best anti-depressant I've been on.
    Thanks for the info.. yeah when i first took it this morning I was restless, and had thoughts of hurting people (not sure why), then about an hour later i didnt care about anything, and then I hit a period of elation where everthing was awesome. Currently Im OK... maybe its wearing off not sure.. I do know that I did not cry today (which was the first day in 2 months.)

Im hoping the combination of this and therapy will help me confront and solve any issues I may have.

The doc told me Lexapro was the "cleanest" and from what ive been reading it seems to be effective.

I predict with the combination of therapy and anti-depressants this period of crying daily will seem like a distant memory by the end of the year, if you stick with it all ofcourse. Therapy is often harder than it seems and anti-depressants can cause you to have moments of feeling inferior because of the 'need to take something to feel normal'. I will not tell you that any of this will be easy, but I can promise you, if you put the effort in it WILL be worth it.

It will take time to get better and some days it will feel like you are getting no where. For now, choose to enjoy the ups and downs of the antidepressant and let moods and thoughts be like water off a ducks back. By the time they are actually working properly (as someone else said 4-6 weeks) you will already be starting to feel better about things.

Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    I predict with the combination of therapy and anti-depressants this period of crying daily will seem like a distant memory by the end of the year, if you stick with it all ofcourse. Therapy is often harder than it seems and anti-depressants can cause you to have moments of feeling inferior because of the 'need to take something to feel normal'. I will not tell you that any of this will be easy, but I can promise you, if you put the effort in it WILL be worth it.

It will take time to get better and some days it will feel like you are getting no where. For now, choose to enjoy the ups and downs of the antidepressant and let moods and thoughts be like water off a ducks back. By the time they are actually working properly (as someone else said 4-6 weeks) you will already be starting to feel better about things.
    Yeah i already feel inferior.. as that was one of the main reasons I didnt do this 10 years ago.. I just want to be "normal" and my first session of therapy was hard.. felt like I was getting nowhere.. BUt i think that this is all necessary for me to heal.. I dont really have any other options. Thanks again maiden

i think its time for a different medicine.. I woke up today and after finding out about her I lost control... if i had a gun i would have probably murdered someone.... im doing ok now though... But i dont think the meds are working as they should..... although its only day two

Update: yeah im pretty depressed right now so I think a change is needed.... appt tomorrow.. letssee what happens.

Any other meds that anyone would recommend that dont have major side effects? Lexapro was attractive due to the limited side effects.
    Last edited by DarkHelmet82; 29-06-11 at 09:56 PM.

i honestly don't see how people are getting through this ****ed up world without taking antidepressants.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

ive heard that Lexapro can bring out bipolar if a person has it.. i wonder if thats the case here.......

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i honestly don't see how people are getting through this ****ed up world without taking antidepressants.
    An open mind and a positive outlook on life.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

If these are fluxotine you are taking then consult your doctor a.s.a.p I was on these and got no such side effect. Write the name of the medicine you are taking in google along with the words "side effects" and see if it matches what you have...look for a wikipedia page...but consult your doctor to be sure that they are safe/worry-free side effects

Quote Originally Posted by Riku View Post
    Some anti-depressents can actually make you more depress and even suicidal. Especially among young people (not saying
    you specifically).
    I believe theres some articles about it over the net.

Best to check out a doctor who knows what he's doing. Some doctors dont know what they are doing from my experience.
    I want a girl who likes to talk. ......I just dont know what to say sometimes and would rather just listen.

yeah they can.. im 29 though.. but the fact I got violent this morning is kinda scary.

Dude, dude, dude, it's only day 2. Your emotions are still all yours at the moment, no anti-depressant is going to be a quick fix.

It's good that you are going to the Dr tomorrow, though I think he will tell you what I am about to say. At this point it is too soon to know if they are a fit or not. You really need to be speaking to a counsellor more at this point. You have emotions to process and unfortunately there is no magic formula for that.

And I would also like to stress here that you are in no way inferior for needing help. 1 in 5 people face depression. I'm not sure what percentage of them are medicated but I know I am. You'll get to where you want to be, you have your feet on the path, it's just not going to be as quick a journey as you'd like.

I know.. i dont have patience.. i just want to feel normal

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast