The Engagement
by Lady_by_the_Sea

March 17, 2001. The Official Engagement. I won't spend a lot of time on this because should I go into detail, there would just be too much. Although I found it to be very informative about my culture and all the aspects of a Hmong engagement, it did take a while. Nine hours, more or less, but it seemed like eternity. Not being able to see Sing for most of those hour was killing me!

The number of people at my house totalled to about 30 people. When Sing and I were no longer needed, we took that time to go out to the mall and look for wedding bands and tuxedos. We came back just as they were closing up the negotiations. Sing and I expressed our desire to have the wedding ceremony in May, and our parents agreed, therefore, I would not be going home with Sing as tradition would have it. We then sat through a few fatherly and brotherly lectures, and a few other things and then the engagement was complete.

That night, it dawned on me that Sing and I were destined to be together. Our families had been connected in the past, and after so many years and so many miles, Sing and I found each other to tie those bonds again. I couldn't help but feel that we have a bigger role to carry out than just two young people madly in love with each other.

And you must be wondering about the dowry and bride-price! I shall decline to mention it since it is neither here nor there. =) Life is wonderful, and I'm technically married! How great is that?! =)