+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Why do guys go on a online dating site just meet new friends?

Why do guys go on a online dating site just meet new friends?

I met this guy online and his profile said that he only wants to meet new friends and he already has a girlfriend? I believe the friends he wants to make are girls because he can't go on that site to meet guys unless he was gay. If your straight you can only pick girls or guys but not both.

I thought it was curious when I saw his facebook profile and it has a picture of his girlfriend and I went out with him on sat. I didn't read his profile until today that it said he wanted to meet new friends, and it never said he was single and looking for anything else... So why do they do that? Isn't it somewhat cheating on his girlfriend? He hung out with me, but isn't that still considered as cheating even though he just wants to meet new friends? even though its considered as a hang out and making new friends... Gosh I hate it when they do that and I was moded... next time I need to read their profile thoroughly before I make a fool out of myself... now I feel embarassed. I mean I didn't know he just want to make friends... I don't mind being his friend but it still not right to do to his girlfriend...

This guy I dated has a friend who goes on multiple online dating sites but in that site he labeled himself as single and looking for short/long term dating... so what the hell is what with that when they already have a girlfriend? jerks...

I agree, that is weird.. Wonder if his girlfriend knows he is on a dating site looking for 'friends'?
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

To me, a straight guy going out alone with a girl is cheating. He is looking for a potential girlfriend in case the current one does not work out. In fact, he may be having problems with this current gf, which is why he's looking.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    They don't, plain and simple.

Sweety, you'll need to get more 'street wise' if you're going to online date. He's on there to meet sexual friends (fk buddies). His girlfriend may know and she may approve because they are in an open relationship or, (more likely) he is doing this behind her back and his intentions are not genuine with the other members of the site. Men who purposely seek out new friendships with members of the opposide sex are not being innocent nor are they respecting their primary partner or the relationship they share.

If you continue to see him you will end up being his dirty little secret or fk buddy if you allow yourself to fall for his bullshit. If you want to know if he is legit in his seeking of "friendships" ask to meet his girlfriend or ask to speak to her to see if she is aware of his extra curricular activities. Even if she is, you should guard your feelings because you will only ever be his back up.

next time I need to read their profile thoroughly before I make a fool out of myself...
    You've got to do a hell of a lot more than that. People lie all the time in their profiles. You have to make sure they are single by their actions like invite you to thier home before having sex, meet their friends, go to their part of town on a date first before having sex and falling for them so that you know you're not being hidden. You need to be aware of red flag behaviour too because if you can't read a red flag when it's waving at you, these types that use dating sites for extra caricular fun will eat you alive emotionally.

That goes for men seeking: Friendship, dating, hangout, longterm. Those that state single, divorced, separated as well. Not all lie about these things but lots certainly do.
    Last edited by Wakeup; 09-07-11 at 02:33 AM.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

In my opinion, a guy can never have too many (girl) friends, especially in modern times; that guy may share that opinion.

"He's on there to meet sexual friends (fk buddies). His girlfriend may know and she may approve because they are in an open relationship or, (more likely) he is doing this behind her back and his intentions are not genuine with the other members of the site"

I completely agree with this x