Written by: Kay Cha

body: Have you ever met someone who stole your heart or took your breathe away?
Have you ever wondered if there was someone out just for you and no one else? From
the moment that Audrey saw him walk through the door, she couldn’t help but to stare
at what was in front of her. It was as if nothing else mattered. For a moment, time
had stopped and everything was moving in slow motion. She knew from the bottom of my
heart that he was the one. True love is lit by a light with a never ending flame so
why does it died? A question most will never understand but I guess it’s true what
people say, “All good things come to an end whether we choose for it to or not.”

It was about 8 o’clock, the night was young. Audrey and I wanted to go out and have
some fun. I called Audrey to see if she was ready to go out yet but she was still
getting herself ready. “I’ll be ever there in about 30 minutes or so.” I told her.
You could tell from the tone of her voice that she was ready to go out and make
history. Little did she know that this was a night that would eventually change the
rest of her life. It was around 10 o’clock when we arrived at the club. Standing at
the bar waiting for our drinks she noticed him coming through the door. She had
never met him but had a look in her eyes as if she had loved him before. “Audrey?
Audrey?” There was no response from her. I could see that she was looking at him. He
was about 5’9”, kinda thin with a good build, nicely dress but something just didn’t
seem right. “Audrey?” I asked again and she finally turned to look at me, “Come on,
let’s go check out the people here.” She grabbed her drink and walked slowly!
behind me.

The club was starting to fill up. More and more people started to hit the dance
floor. Audrey and I was dancing when he came over. “Hi, my name is Frank. Can I
dance with you lovely ladies?” he politely asked.

“Sure.” I responded.

After dancing for a little bit Audrey and I decided to take a break. Frank came
along and we all started to talk. We told him we were gonna go to the bathroom and
he asked if we could come back and talk a little more. I told him sure if he didn’t
move and he calmly nodded his head yes. While in the bathroom Audrey turns to me and
asks, “So what you think of him? I think he likes you.” She knew where my heart was
though.

After the restroom, we went back to Frank and we all started dancing again. The
three of us had so much fun that it seemed as if the night had come to an end too
soon. As we were leaving, Frank asked if he could have our numbers. Audrey gave him
her number and we left.

They started to talk and eventually got together. It turns out that Frank is the
youngest of three kids who was from a little town two hours from up north of us. To
show her how much he cared for her he would visit her almost every weekend when he
was off work. She would go visit too but he preferred her not to because of the long
drive. After two years of dating, Audrey and Frank’s relationship was still strong
as ever although Frank’s parents didn’t think that Audrey was good enough for him.
He was able to keep their thoughts on the side and follow his heart of what he felt
for her.

One day Frank drove over and asked Audrey if she would marry him. He told her that
they could run away, the two of them and be happy together. “Why so sudden?” she
asked with confusion on her face.

She saw tears rolling from his eyes. She could see all hurt that he had inside of
him. She grabbed hold of him and held him so tight that he knew that she would never
let go. With tears starting to drip from her eyes, she slowly whispered in his ears,
“ Hon, yes I will marry you. I’ll run away with you but just let me say my good byes
to family and friends first. Okay?”

Audrey and Frank agreed that later on that week they would run away. Audrey had the
better car so she was suppose to go pick Frank up on Friday. First they’d go stay
with a friend of his until they got jobs and had enough money to start a new life in
a new state.
Audrey was very scared but she wanted to support Frank all that she could. That week
she slowly start to fill her car up with stuff that she felt she needed to take with
her when the family was asleep so that no one would know. Soon enough, Friday came
around sooner then she had expected.

It was around 4 o’clock that Audrey showed up at my house. I gave her a hug as tears
started to run from my eyes. “You’re the best friend that I’ve ever had and I wish
the best for the two of you but, are you sure you wanna do this?”

She nodded her head yes and handed me a little box. “Open it.” Audrey started to
smiled as I started to open the box. “This is an angel that I’ve had since longer
then I can remember. This is one of my most treasured items and I want you to keep
it safe for me.” I gave her a hug and we talked for a little bit and then she said
she needed to get going. Little did I know that this would be last time that I would
ever see my best friend.

It was about 8:30pm when I got a call from Frank asking if I had seen or talked to
Audrey. I told him that it was around 5 something that I last saw her and she said
that she was on her way to pick him up. Apparently she never got there. Frank
figured that her parents probably found out what they had planned and wouldn’t let
her leave or talk to him. He got into his car and started to race off to her house.
As if things weren’t bad enough for him already, there was a car accident to slow
him down even more along the way. The only thing that was in his mind was to get to
town and take Audrey in his in arms and confront her parents that he wants to marry
her and he’ll care of her. Do what ever possible to give her everything that she has
ever dreamed and be the one to make her happy for the rest of her life. Frank got to
the front of her house and sat there wondering how he was suppose to put into words
all that he wanted to say. All he knew was that as long as he had Audrey h!
e would be happy.

He finally found the courage to walk up the to house and rang the door bell.
Audrey’s mom came and answered the door. “Audrey puas nyob tseb os?” he kindly
asked.

She kindly responded that she wasn’t home but that he was more then welcome to sit
and wait for her if he wanted so he did. Thoughts kept running through his head.
“Did I scare her?” “Where could she be at this hour?” “What if she didn’t want to
run away with me but was too frighten to tell me no?” and then all of a sudden there
was a knock on the door. Frank immediately jumped up from the sofa where he was
sitting to get the door hoping that it was Audrey.

Standing on the other side of the door was not Audrey but instead two police
officers. “Hi.” One of the officers said. “I’m Officer Steven Mitchell and this is
my partner Officer Mike Jones. Is this the residency of Audrey Thao?”

Frank stood speechless and confused but nodded his head yes. He wanted to ask why
they were there but nothing would come out. The cops asked if it was okay that they
stepped in the house and again Frank nodded his head yes. “Are you her brother?”

“No. I’m Frank. She’s my girlfriend.” he stated. “Is she alright? I’ve been waiting
for her to come home.” The Officers wanted to know if her parents were home. “Yes,
they are but they’re sleeping.” he responded. “What’s wrong? Where is she? Did she
do something wrong? Is she hurt?” He knew that something was wrong and his eyes
started to water.

The cops looked at each other and then glanced at Frank. “Would you take a sit
Frank.” He knew it was going to be bad news but he was still hoping that she could
be alright. “Now Frank, we came here tonight to let you guys know that Audrey was in
an accident. She was riding on the freeway and witnesses say that she was headed
north on the freeway when she was hit by a drink driver riding south who had no
headlights on.”

Frank started to cry and scream louder then he had ever before that it woke Audrey’s
parents up. The cops explained what happened and Frank left the house with tears in
his eyes. He could not believe what had happened. It was just earlier that he had
talked to her and tonight they was suppose to be the first night of the rest of
their lives together not the end. Thoughts ran across Frank’s mind non-stop, then it
brought him back to the accident he came across way to find Audrey. Flash backs non
stop. Why didn’t he stop instead of rushing. It was her. Maybe if he was there he
could of helped her but the truth was she was gone and there was nothing that he
could of done.

Audrey’s parents blamed Frank for her accident. He paid for the whole funeral but
yet that wasn’t enough for her parents. For all they knew, they lost their daughter
but didn’t understand that Frank had lost the dearest thing to his heart which was
their daughter too. They blamed him because if she hadn’t been on her way to see him
then she’d still be alive.

Death is harder for some then others. It took Frank three years before he finally
faced reality and realized that Audrey wasn’t coming back no matter how much he
wanted her to before he could go and date again. It’s interesting how life can all
of a sudden come to an end. Some are lucky enough to never go through it, for the
rest of us, we’ll always remember. There’s an angel above us. Someone whom we loved
and someone who loved us.