+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Life and Love?

Life and Love?

I was wondering if anyone here has ever thought that love can happen based on a religious thought? Like if you love yourself first, then you will have an abundance to share with the people around you. I just watched this self help/documentary called Discover the Gift (directed by Demien Lichtenstein) and it was a lot like that. I was just curious if anyone has had personal with that kind of stuff before.

1: There is no such thing as "self help". If someone told you how to do some stuff; that's help.
    If you did it yourself, you didn't need help: you did it yourself

2: I'm not religious, so I can't help you on that front.

What I do know is that you have to understand your own feelings and be at peace with them. If you're lying to yourself, you're only going to fool others.
    Can someone please explain what is so great about constantly being reminded of that which you cannot have?

"Loving yourself first, so you could share it with others" is not really in a religious aspect ... It is actually a known fact of life ... Its as simple as how can you love others if you dont love yourself? How can you respect others if you dont even respect yourself? How can you play tennis with others if you dont really know how to play tennis? something like that.....

Yes by gaining insight into yourself you become a lot more aware and compassionate to what others are going through and to me this makes for harmonious relationships.

It is also related to the Law of Attraction in that if you love who you are you will project positive happy vibes and attract people similar. If you have a negative state of mind and don't love yourself people can pick up on this and probably won't want to go near you. Or you will be taken advantage.

Also at the end of the day we are all we have in life. People will come and go so it is imperative to love yourself coz you are stuck with yourself! What a nightmare if you hate yourself, that is just so much suffering.
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

There's nothing religious about letting go of past hurts to your heart, so you can love yourself, then advance into loving others. It's just good advice.

I don't "love" myself in a narcissistic way, but I am content with who I am. Now that I can accept myself as I am, I can love others as they are also. Except if they're jerks.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)