+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Going out alone

Going out alone

Does anyone ever do this? I'm new in my city and really feel like going out to a club or a bar. Just don't really have anybody to go with, so I thought of going by myself... but the more I think about it, the weirder it seems. Even more so because it seems to have a vibe of 'looking to hook up', because a girl alone is probably much more likely to attract men than other girls who want to start a friendship, if that makes sense. I *would* like to meet somebody and I sure wouldn't mind if somebody nice approached me, but that isn't really the original point of this. But then again sitting (or dancing) there alone seems weird also. But I really want to go out again :p

Not sure what to think. Anyone have any smart thoughts?

why dont ya just try some place get a drink and a meal at the bar or somthing, just gotta own up to it. i never use to go out alone, now i dont care, if people blow me off and i wanna do somthing ill do it myselg now. once your realize you can do it, it wont seem as weird.

Hmm. I am a person who does a lot of things alone... I don't normally have a problem going travelling/to the park/ /cafes/ to concerts/movies etc alone, but this seems different. The food thing is a good idea though, gives me something to do.

Once in a while I'll head out to do some errands and I'll stop by a bar or a cafe for something to eat. I'm the type of person that can talk to anybody about anything, so more often than not I find myself in animated conversation with complete strangers. A lot of people don't seem to be okay with that though.

Why not look up some organizations that you can get into? One thing that really helped me acclimate when I moved across the country to San Diego was Yelp. I started writing reviews and there are community-based threads where you can start discussions with other people in your area, and post upcoming events where you can get out an socialize. I met a lot of great people and was able to start networking.

Dive into some hobbies too. Take art classes, join a yoga studio, or volunteer for something. You don't have to waste money taking yourself out to clubs and bars. You're unlikely to happen upon a suitable guy at a club, and you certainly won't make any girl friends there.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    at your work or anything can't you meet at least 1 single person that would like to go for a drink? I wouldn't go alone to a bar but I'd make every attempt to meet at least 1 person who would and try to meet their friends and go from there.

@lahnnabell - I do want to do all of that as well, but I just really feel like going out at night, you know? Not necessarily to meet people, I just miss going out to clubs and bars. I want to do that for the sake of itself, not for lack of other things to do.

@girl68, nope, I work with three other people and they are all quite a bit older. I'm doing my best to find friends, but am not there yet just yet.

Maybe I'll just go out by myself this weekend and if it really sucks I'll just never tell anyone about it hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Layna View Post
    Does anyone ever do this? I'm new in my city and really feel like going out to a club or a bar. Just don't really have anybody to go with, so I thought of going by myself... but the more I think about it, the weirder it seems. Even more so because it seems to have a vibe of 'looking to hook up', because a girl alone is probably much more likely to attract men than other girls who want to start a friendship, if that makes sense. I *would* like to meet somebody and I sure wouldn't mind if somebody nice approached me, but that isn't really the original point of this. But then again sitting (or dancing) there alone seems weird also. But I really want to go out again :p

Not sure what to think. Anyone have any smart thoughts?
    Not safe.

Best to make friends with some fellow females in a lonely city.

Going out to to club or bar alone could potentially make you the next sexual assault victom or kidnapped victom.
    Dont do it!

Know some people in the city first. Alot of places you can meet people. Join something. Maybe dancing lessons, gym, martial arts club, school lessons etc
    Last edited by Henry123; 16-07-11 at 04:23 AM.
    I want a girl who likes to talk. ......I just dont know what to say sometimes and would rather just listen.

Try meetup.com where you can meet people with similar interests. This should be a good site for people in new cities. I believe Meetup is mainly for the US and Canada, not sure.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

There are singles groups where they arrange different activities everynight of the week, like rock climbing or cooking classes. You could try speed dating.

theres always craigslist friends only forum.