+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How should I understand the phrase "Open relationship"

How should I understand the phrase "Open relationship"

Hello there ,

I met the girl of my dreams about a month ago , we talk each day for hours , we see each other ,
    we love each other and care for each other .
    The girl though would not like to participate in a committing relationship , because her past tells her it is the worst path -
    it involves lying , cheating and a windows for hurtful situations .
    So we accepted the idea of us being in an open relationship - we see each other with the permission of seeing others .

Problem is , she does not wont to commit , where as I feel committed - I don`t want to see or hear from any other girl .
    So there is a one-way commitment from my side .

Also , she says she likes this situation the best - where she could know
    there is always a way to come back , and there is someone whom loves her beyond anything else .

We talked about it and we concluded that our relationship at the moment should be like this , or would not be existing at all ,
    in other words - this or nothing .

She is everything I really wanted , and I can`t imagine a situation where I would not talk to her at all , so I`m going for this ,
    going to be with her everywhere she goes - and would understand if she`d like to see others as well .

How should I understand this though ? She says she wont go through everything again with me like past boyfriends ,
    she says the reason she wants it to stay like this is because she cares and love me .
    Also , it has been said that right now - she needs someone to be with her for fun , and for it not to be "heavy"
    on the thoughts .

Ladies , fellows , what do you think I should get from this ?
    I mean , I want her with me like nothing else - she is the best thing that ever occurred in my lifetime ,
    could it work in the future ?

It means that she wants to **** and date other people. Even if you aren't bothered by the lack of exclusivity, I'd be worried about her lack of commitment. I'd try my best to not get attached emotionally. That said, a girl who just wants fun is quite a rare treat.

We talked about it and we concluded that our relationship at the moment should be like this , or would not be existing at all ,
    in other words - this or nothing .
    She will steal your joy. When you settle to be something to someone that you don't agree to, you will lose your own identy, you'll be one of many and since she refuses to commit while keeping your relationship open, it means you are just a **** buddy and not an equal partner to her. What will you do when you build up her self-worth and she forgets her past relationship failure and leaves you for some guy that she actually does want a relationship for?

I'm rather surprised that you'd settle as if she were the only female option you'll ever have in your lifetime.

You do this her way, then I highly suggest that you get yourself out there and meet other women. Try and keep her at the same level she keeps you.. which is "desposible."
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I think this means...you're ok but she's holding out for something better. Try not to get too attached and instead just have fun if you can do that. Otherwise, there is someone out there who will put you first. Stay open and keep looking.

Don't commit too much, it will only break your heart. If she wants to see others but you want a committed relationship than this is not the right one for you. It seems as you both are looking for something different in each other and that can't work.

To reword the advice of everyone else here, please please please keep yourself open to meeting someone better. You think this girl is awesome for now, and that's great. No strings attached sex can also be good.

Here's the nasty bit though. She refuses to put her self in a situation where she gets hurt, right? All that is fair enough EXCEPT that you are allowing her to do this at the expense of how you feel. Are you seriously going to be ok with it if you ring her one day to invite her to dinner and she can't because she has plans? How quickly is your head going to jump to "Who is he?" "what's he got that I don't?" This is not a healthy long term situation. She doesn't trust you not to hurt her, she won't settle down with you.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

You might love this girl, but how do you know you two are compatible? Have you made a list of things that you absolutely need? Sounds like you need a committment, but she won't give it. Thus, she is not the one for you. If you keep looking you will eventually find the right one. Just be patient. Because when you find it, it will be the best thing in the world. It's the best when it's easy for both partners to give the other what they need. Both feel fulfilled and happy.

Example: Let's say the man feels loved when his gf cooks for him. So he finds a girl that likes to cook. They are both happy. See how that works?
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)