+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why would you want to be friends with your ex girlfriend?

Eeewwww I wouldn't be going on any date-like activities with him, and most certainly don't "hang out" on a regular basis with him. We don't normally catch up for more than 1/2hr.

I do see what you're saying, and as earlier mentioned - I'd never let my friendship with my ex get in the way of a relationship with my current partner - especially if they're uneasy about it (respect goes two ways)

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    Yes, I suspect they respected you for being honest because then they could refrain from becoming to vulnerable to you so that an easy exit would be possible for them.

I don't think I know anyone who would be comfortable with an ex being a friend. Being "friendly" with one another is one thing. Being their "friend" is quite another.

Where are these men that "respected you for it" now? Not still with you I assume???
    I would like to agree to disagree with your point of view. I don't have a problem being a friend to my ex. I simply don't try very hard; not trying very hard also affects women who don't claim to be my friends, how is that any different from a woman who is willing to be my friend, if only I tried harder?

Who currently resides in San Jose California
    the title is easy to answer...

why would a guy want to be friends with exes?

because the guy wants to have FWB post relationship.
    because the guy wants to have a fallback girl/back up girl
    because the guy wants to hide his secret from his current girlfriend.
    because the guy wants to have you and his ex BUT NOT AT SAME TIME.

I am sure theres more than 4 reasons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This is me training
    WINS:10 LOSS:14 DRAW:2

Ric is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    It's possible he just values your friendship and wants you to remain in his life that way. Guys don't always have ulterior motives.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    It's possible he just values your friendship and wants you to remain in his life that way. Guys don't always have ulterior motives.
    LOL, what planet are you from. Here on earth maybe 2% of all guys might fit your statement.... Might.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Best advice is only after a long time has passed. Right now he just wants what the people above had said. And by time I mean years.

Ric is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    LOL, what planet are you from. Here on earth maybe 2% of all guys might fit your statement.... Might.
    It's actually quite sad that men have such a lousy reputation while it's not true at all. I'm sure many men are like that, but way more than 2% just want to be friends.

Again, we're talking about earth.... Where are you talking about again?

I'd like to think the percentage is somewhat higher than 2% - specially when you started out as friends and built a relationship on THAT foundation! My ex and I are quite capable of a platonic friendship - we don't hang out like we use to - both respect each other and our current partners - but mature enough to be able to maintain a friendship minus the stigmata of sex - there are guys out there who are capable of keeping it in their pants!

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    I'd like to think the percentage is somewhat higher than 2% - specially when you started out as friends and built a relationship on THAT foundation! My ex and I are quite capable of a platonic friendship - we don't hang out like we use to - both respect each other and our current partners - but mature enough to be able to maintain a friendship minus the stigmata of sex - there are guys out there who are capable of keeping it in their pants!
    Sounds more like being friendly rather than being "friends."
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Sorry I don't have faith in many of my penis toting bretherin. I've talked to too many of these people in situations like that where there is [something] there. I'm not saying that there is always the goal of having sex, but if there was no interest there would be no friendship. I think that a very VERY high percentage of involved men would have sex with their "friend" exes. After all there was enough between them that there was a relationship before, right? Only someone truly foolish sits back and says "oh, well we're with other people now, so all of those feelings are just washed away". Even if you can, that doesn't mean your guy friend can, and most of the time he can't.

I think a lot of people mistake being "friends" with just being on good terms and being nice to each other. I wouldn't say I'm "friends" w/ my ex's as I don't talk to them on any regularity, but I have nice conversations whenever I see them and do care about their well being and am willing to help them out anytime it may be needed. I think anything more than that, it's nearly impossible to have a friendship like that without at least one of the people involved developing those old feelings. Lots of times, what makes you want ot be their friend is what attracted you to them in the first place.

Men would not want to be friends with ex unless there are still some feelings, or there are children between he and ex.
    It's a bad idea to be friends with ex anyway. Too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Starkiller View Post
    I think a lot of people mistake being "friends" with just being on good terms and being nice to each other. I wouldn't say I'm "friends" w/ my ex's as I don't talk to them on any regularity, but I have nice conversations whenever I see them and do care about their well being and am willing to help them out anytime it may be needed. I think anything more than that, it's nearly impossible to have a friendship like that without at least one of the people involved developing those old feelings. Lots of times, what makes you want ot be their friend is what attracted you to them in the first place.
    Ok then friend. Any ex's been so friendly that when they've been asked to keep an eye out for any possible cute-dates for your ex have done that?

If everything is done and we're just friends that shouldn't be a big issue should it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12