+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How many of you go to a therapist/Who thinks they need one but still dont go. And WHY

How many of you go to a therapist/Who thinks they need one but still dont go. And WHY

Hi all.

Just wondering if any of you actually have and go to a therapist? We ALL know we should at some point in our lives, especially when we have to post something in the Dumping Talk section. But, many of us don't. Many of us just keep it all inside and get some relief when we post here and hope someone will reply, if not to give us answers, just to know someone is listening and maybe knows what we are going through.

I know I SHOULD talk to someone, as most, if not all of us here. But, like most of us, I don't. Maybe we're embarrassed, or worried about what our friends might think/say. Or, think we don't need one. Maybe we can't afford one.

How many of you feel this way, and how many of actually go to a therapist. And has it helped?

I know sometimes, especially when your going through a breakup, it help ALOT to just talk to someone and tell someone how you are feeling about it. And, how you are feeling about everything in general.

Just wondering what you guys think.

And what do you guys do to get through it all?

I could probably benefit from some therapy/counseling sessions of some sort. Unbeknownst to many (aside from a select few friends), I am dealing with a lot of shit right now and am not very happy with many aspects of my life. I probably will eventually sign up for weekly counseling of some sort. Just need to get started on the process and figure out what methods are covered by my insurance.

Alexi

I have been throught therapy.. it helpped alot .. althought I didnt really appreciate it at the time.. I think I needed to figure out exactly.. HOW.. it helpped me. Sometimes it helps to have someone who is sort of out of your life looking it. A new perspective of sorts.
    "Remember always, that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    - - Eleanor Roosevelt
    " It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not."
    - - Michael Nolan
    "...to love and lose, is better than not to love at all..." .... Lord, whats his name....
    " The world is big... I want to see all of it before it gets dark." -- John Muir

I've been to two different ones at a particularly rough patch in my life. The first one was a Freudian psychologist. For those who don't know what that means, its basically one that is very expensive and extremely worthless. They're the ones who just get you to talk and never say anything back. Very moronic connotations to sex and aggression as well. The second I went to was a behavioral psychologist and he helped a lot, just takes finding one you really need at the right time to say the right thing.
    Heit ist mein taug.

hey, I have never had one, and at times I wish I could go. I'm still young so I would have to talk to my parents about it, because they would be the ones paying for it. The money wouldn't be an issue, but I don't want them to have to worry about me, and they wouldnt really understand the fact that I would just like to talk to someone. On the other hand, I am doing alright, and in any situation I never take advice from just one person, I take it from many then figure it out in my head. So maybe it wouldn't even do me any good, although if I was offered I would definately take it.
    Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them too, doesn't mean they don't love you with all of their heart

I think sometimes i could with going to speak to one about my confidence issues (had a lot of trouble a while ago about bf leaving me, those who remember) altho i am dealing with it now and it is getting better i still think sometimes i mite benefit from a few sessions The reason i dont go? Dont know where there are ones near me in the UK...wouldnt know where to look, and of course the cost. I am not worried about being embarressed because it is completely confidential
    ******* 7 Times World Champion Michael Schumacher - the ultimate sporting hero *******

I went through therapy as a teenager and it made the biggest difference in my life. I would have to say that most anyone could benefit from it and it is really worth it. Getting your head screwed on straight can make everything else in your life a lot easier.

I've been thinking about it. I didnt want to at first 'cos I didn't like the idea of having to see one just because I split from my girlfriend. It seemed like I was submitting to the fact that I couldn't get over her on my own. Like I was making a big deal out of nothing.
    But I realised, the worse you take a split depends a lot more on other things in life other than the girl.
    Still cant afford it though.

as a matter of fact at this moment I am going to a therapist, my mom died on sept and my fiance broke up with me on Nov. I felt it was two low blows too suddenly and I wanted to know weather I was managing this experience the right way.
    I am lucky enough to have a dad who was/is there for me and has given me alot of support, when he himself is going through the process of grieving and (2) sisters who I was able to cry my eyes out, but since one of my sister lives in ny and the other and my dad lives in another country I felt I needed someone here who would help me one way or the other to go through this the right way. yes it has helped me, I feel I can expresse myself without being judge, and I am working on focusing more in me and letting myself be in contact with my emotions, learning that it is allright to feel vulnerable without being a victim and just learning how to cope.

A few years back I went through a really rough patch with depression and Anxiety. I was suggested to go to a therapist, but, being the stubborn person I am, I decided I could do this on my own. I go to my Family doctor once every three months to talk about things. My doctor, my friends and my family all help me cope with life when it gets rough. I also have a nice little pharmacy of meds at home. lol. Damn things drive me nuts!

Evil School!!
    May not be on LF as much, due to unforeseen circumstances.
    Blame College and Homework for Everything!!
    -Fawn

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Therapists suck.

There have a been times when I SHOULDVE gone, but like Fawn, Im too stubborn. I did deal with issues on my own. I just picked myself up and turned negatives into positives and did alot of forgiving and letting go. I have friends VERY good friends who listen to me vent when I need it the most, and some of them are from here. (you know who you are...) I am thankful Im able to talk things out with them, they let me cry, they make me laugh, they make me feel better altogether. And they're my closest friends, I value their friendship and know I can talk about ANYTHING without being judged. At times they do give me different perspectives, but mostly, support. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for always being there for me.

I think therapy or a counselor is a wonderful thing, it allows people to talk and to be heard when you can't to others. There are times I think I need one when my emotions just overwhelm the hell out of me, however, I eventually get through it. But I strongly recommend them to people. I know several people whove been going through years of therapy to deal with issues from their past, and I hurt for them. Sometimes I wish I could wave a wand and wish their sorrows or troubles away, but the therapist is the key for them to heal.

People deal with issues differently, I personally like to try to remain optimistic no matter the situation. Knowing that things will be fine no matter what, keeps me going. But I'd say if youre dealing with things you can't handle on your own, go see one. Who knows someday I may find myself looking across...and hearing those words..."What are you feeling today?"
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.