+ Follow This Topic

Thread: # 1 problem in marriage?

# 1 problem in marriage?

What do you think the # 1 problem is that prevents most couples from continuing to have a great marriage after they've been married 3, 5, 7 years or longer?

Taking each other for granted and forgetting about keeping things exciting. You've got to keep flirting and seducing your partner like you did when you first started to get to know them and were working your way up to getting into each others pants. Step away from the role of Mom and Dad every once and a while and go on sexy weekends away together where your role is each others life mate and partner while the kids stay home and have a fun weekend with Gramma and Grandpa (or aunt/uncle etc).
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

From what I've learned on these forums: insecurity and lack of communication

I'd never marry someone who made me feel insecure. I can't even imagine expecting to live the rest of my life with someone who induces angst in me.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I think insecurity is mostly a problem despite the partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    I think insecurity is mostly a problem despite the partner.
    Theres the other side of the coin then. Would you want to marry someone who drove you bat shit crazy always trying to reassure them? When people insist on marrying people that they aren't compatible with then I can see why the divorce rate is so high now a days.

I guess that means that chronically insecure people aren't compatible with relationships at all.

Most relationships weren't good or solid enough for marriage in the first place. They were going to end. Someone just decided to try and drag it out with marriage. Sometimes they do something even stupider and when marriage doesn't save the relationship they try to drag it out even more by having a kid. People are horrible at finding good partners and creating good relationships that will last. It just becomes more obvious when they try to get married on these relationships because everything becomes more complicated when it falls apart instead of them just being able to go their separate ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    Taking each other for granted and forgetting about keeping things exciting. You've got to keep flirting and seducing your partner like you did when you first started to get to know them and were working your way up to getting into each others pants. Step away from the role of Mom and Dad every once and a while and go on sexy weekends away together where your role is each others life mate and partner while the kids stay home and have a fun weekend with Gramma and Grandpa (or aunt/uncle etc).
    That would be my guess too

Most people have horrible communication skills. Making noises with your mouth isn't communication, but most people think it is.