+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Being clean shaven: risks, benefits?

Being clean shaven: risks, benefits?

I was just curious if there were any risks associated with shaving downstairs for women? Infections, decreased sensitivity, etc.? Are there any benefits to it?

Also if anyone could recomend some good products to make sure you don't look like a red plucked chicken afterwards that would be nice too.

I get waxed. Shaving just ruins my skin. I don't recommend waxing yourself; you're much better off having a professional do it.

There's always the risk of ingrown hairs (which can become infected), you can blister, etc. Waxing prevents these problems for me. It hurts at first, but you get used to it and it's much smoother and easier than putting my leg up on the sink and spending an hour shaving.

I've never heard of decreased sensitivity being a problem. My waxing salon sells PFB Vanish. It's a roll on oil that prevents ingrown hairs, and it's soothing. Waxing is the best, cheapest way to get a clean-shaven look without the threat of ingrown hairs or irritation or having to spend a ton of money on laser hair removal.

How long can you go in between getting it done with waxing?

Quote Originally Posted by RikkiTikkiTavi View Post
    How long can you go in between getting it done with waxing?
    A few weeks. Usually you have to wait until the hair regrows to about 1/4 of an inch before you can wax again. If the hair is too short then it could scar your skin. The esthetician should let you know whether or not you can get re-waxed by checking the hair length. It's important to find a salon and a person you trust to do this right. I had my skin ruined for a while because one lady went ahead with the waxing when she knew it was still too soon.

And you can't shave in between waxes. After several waxing sessions the hair will start to grow back thinner and be less noticeable. Shaving in between waxes could cause skin complications.

I wax too. All of it comes off except a little landing strip. I go every 4 weeks. It KILLS the first time you get it done but it does get better. I have never shaved the whole area and am in no hurry to do it, too scared of cutting myself and also not sure I would be able to do a good job.
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

So glad I don't have the need or desire to wax myself ... not down there.

All I picture is torn skin and blood :-|

Still, I've had my chest done once, and that actually felt quite nice (probably because I don't have a 'carpet' chest so there wasn't a huge amount to remove in the first place).

Someone once waxed my shin as part of a dare. That hurt like a bastard.

Good luck ladies ... beauty knows no pain. Not even down there!
    -... --- --- -... .. . ...

I agree with the ladies. I get waxed too. It's way way better than shaving or using a depilatory cream which basically have the same outcomes. First time was horrible but now it's been years so I'm completely used to it. If I can't get to a salon I do it myself.

I don't see any major risks. Maybe the fact that if you use a razor you might cut yourself if you're not careful. But waxing is totally worth it. Long lasting, fewer and thinner hairs in time and leaves the skin feeling really nice and smooth.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by RikkiTikkiTavi View Post
    I was just curious if there were any risks associated with shaving downstairs for women?
    You run the risk that a woman might not want to have sex with you anymore (assuming you are male).

Skin tears are a potential problem with waxing. And yes, I have seen it.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    You run the risk that a woman might not want to have sex with you anymore (assuming you are male).
    Why not?

Skin tears are a potential problem with waxing. And yes, I have seen it.
    That could happen if the person who does it doesn't really know what they're doing. One of my cousin's friends went to have her upper lip waxed the day before her wedding and the lady who did it tore a bit of her skin. A ton of makeup and Xanax was needed.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Males without body hair look like little boys, and as such, are not at all interesting to me.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Oh. Fair enough. Some men say that about women who shave their pubic hair as well. Personally I like it better when a guy's shaven down there.

I hate the mannequin look on a guy. Makes him look rather feminine with dangly bits IMO.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Males without body hair look like little boys, and as such, are not at all interesting to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
    Oh. Fair enough. Some men say that about women who shave their pubic hair as well. Personally I like it better when a guy's shaven down there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    I hate the mannequin look on a guy. Makes him look rather feminine with dangly bits IMO.
    Will you ladies stop your horny thoughts and get back to the OP's question ??

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by asdfg789 View Post
    Will you ladies stop your horny thoughts and get back to the OP's question ??
    Sorry... sometimes I just can't help myself. Maybe it's the fault of the "what you love about men" thread.