+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I just need some help...

I just need some help...

Basically, I am just not too sure whether I should be with my boyfriend anymore, and I am really confused about it all.
    We've been together just over a year and I'm not going to lie we're not perfect. We argue, and what not but about New Years which happens to be a few days before my birthday he cheated on me, he told me all of what happened and I know that he was truly sorry and I 'forgave' him, I'm just having a hard time letting go of what happened even though it was so long ago. The fact he cheated with my best friend also hurt aswell. I've forgotten about it as much as I can and keep trying to move on.
    We also had rough patch when I had to go into a psych ward. That wasn't fun.
    I mean we've not had the best relationship, but he has been the only person I have truly loved despite all that has happened and I know he loves me.
    Basically what I am getting to is even though I love him, I don't feel that I am in love anymore, it sounds stupid because I am young but it's just how I feel. We don't spend massive amounts of time together, and we'll be spending even less when I go back to college (I'm nearly 20) and he'll go to Uni (he's nearly 19).
    And I know he wants to spend his life with me, and although I'd like that I want to experience other things. I want to be with other people, I just feel that we would be better off friends before I start resenting him.
    I just don't want to hurt him, I know I have eventually got to do but I just start crying before I even try and start talking to him about it. I just want him to be happy, and think he would be able to do that with someone else, but at the same time I sort of don't want to leave because I really do care about him. I'm just confused.
    Thanks for any advice. (:

Your logical thinking is starting to surface as the feeling of love wears off. This is quite normal for someone your age. Your relationship isn't practical for this time of your life, in fact any committed relationship isn't practical....this is your time to enjoy your freedom, discover who you are as you develop into an adult....its a whole new world for you, it should be exciting for you. What you are feeling now is the impending loss the comfort and familiarity of being in a relationship, but in time it will fade. You will discover new friendships, fun flirting with guys, socializing, feeling attractive and free.

Breaking up is never easy, but once its over you will be relieved, looking forward to this new chapter in your life.

PS: you will find love again someday.....an even better one.

Best of luck....may you have many new and exciting adventures!

Thanks for your help, it's just deciding when to do it. I know it's not going to be easy, and I know we're both going to hurt for awhile but I just want the best for both of us.