+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long did you wait to say the big L word?

How long did you wait to say the big L word?

<3

So, how far into the relationship were you when you said 'I love you'

Were you the guy or the girl?

What was the reaction?

I'm the guy. I fell in love with her the day I met her, and didn't want to scare her away... so I waited until she said it.

As the guy, I always waited until I felt ready to say it and then waited just a little longer. The extra time was to get over the fear of her not reciprocating. Once I realized that it wouldn't be the end of the world, I was cool with saying it.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

I said it to my guy 2 weeks ago, about 5 months into our relationship. He didn't reciprocate, and asked for space...I gave him space, which last for 5 days until he came to me saying he missed me, and he wanted to be with me but wasn't in a position to tell me he loved me. Which was fine, because I wasn't looking to hear it back.

I'm too scared to say it first! Though the reasons for which this has been playing on my mind lately is for a couple of reasons:
    -Our relationship tends to be quite flirty and chilled out, not all gushy, but a few weeks ago we were laying on his bed cuddling and he was like 'can i say something soppy... i really really like you, i have some really deep feelings about you, i'm crazy about you...'
    -Which made me think, how I love being with him and how awesome he makes me feel... But, I might wait it out a a few more weeks... we've been together 9 months now so not sure if it's long enough to say it

I said it to hubby about 3 months in. He couldn't say it back for nearly a year after that.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Quote Originally Posted by kinks View Post
    How long did you wait to say the big L word?
    Lesbian?
    You can't buy love, but you pay heavily for it.

I typically wait for the guy to say it, but I know some of my friends don't. It took my bf almost 2 years, but its ok I'm glad i waited...

Do you all think relationships are more successful when the guy says it first or do you think it doesnt matter?

Quote Originally Posted by lilxcutie53 View Post
    Do you all think relationships are more successful when the guy says it first or do you think it doesnt matter?
    Why would you measure the success of your relationship based on who declares their love first?
    You can't buy love, but you pay heavily for it.

Quote Originally Posted by kinks View Post
    <3

So, how far into the relationship were you when you said 'I love you'

Were you the guy or the girl?

What was the reaction?
    I nearly waited 5 1/2 months in our 7 months relationship and told her suddenly when i felt the right time to tell she replied "k but society probs blah...blahhh" but she didnt give any confirmation.
    After a month,i proposed her again she told "I am her brother...LOL.."
    What i funny guy I am?
    Currently on my way to Cloud Number 9.....

About a few weeks into my relationship my boyfriend said it to me first. I didn't expect to hear it. Actually at first I was shocked and didn't know how to reply. I really liked him and I was so happy he felt that deeply about me but it took me about 10 minutes to reply. I replied with "I love you too" because I did have deep feelings for him despite it being early in the relationship and I still do. I think it depends on the comfort level both people have for each other and when they are ready to express that feeling. It may take some people longer than others to feel that commitment, trust, and understanding, and to feel comfortable and complacent to admit their love. Everyone is different and no relationship is the same. A couple admitting it sooner to each other or a couple saying it later to each other doesn't make it any different, it's still love. As long as the love is genuine and reciprocated at some point. And if not then you know to move on and find someone who truly loves you.

I don't know why it's bugging me so much.

Anyway, was over at my bf's yesterday and said lots of things like 'I love being with you, think you're amazing, I like you lots...' To which he said things like 'Me too, you're gorgeous, think you're awesome, crazy about you and I like you more' Cue, somebody get the sick bucket... I'm not normally so gushy, but I think I was literally trying to get the I Love You out of him Did lots of staring at each others eyes and blah... I would say it first, but I'm scared if e doesn't say it back straight away or says a variation of it I'll drive myself paranoid :'(

Maybe the older a guy is, the less fleetingly he'll say it?? D'you guys think cos the relationship before mine was a 3 year relationship, he's being more careful now? I mean we've been together 9months now and he's known me for over a year...
    Last edited by kinks; 07-08-11 at 10:25 PM.

We flirted for quite awhile I know from the grapevine he told one of my friends after a few dates that he thought he was in love with me. A few months later when we were just saying goodbye he said "I love you" and I said it back.
    So probably 3 months

My guy said it first..only a few weeks into the relationship. I was hesitant at first but eventually said it back the same week. We talked for 3 months before making it official and really got to know pretty much everything about eachother with our in depth talks so we both were feeling pretty deep emotions early on. Even though it happened quick..2 years later we're married and happy as ever : )

My boyfriend said it a month or so into our relationship. I knew I really liked him and was starting to fall in love at the time but I wasn't sure if he was ready or felt the same to express that. One day a month or so after we first started dating he said it to me and I happily said it back. Our relationship had always been very close though. Even from the point when we first started to realize we liked each other up until the point to where he asked me out and even still today. So exchanging "I love you"s even early on was never a problem or awkward. Now he says it so often when we are together and also through other forms of communication like texts. But it's more so in person which I always love! He usually always says it first. But I enjoy saying it often to him as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast