+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Boyfriend doubting himself?

Boyfriend doubting himself?

My boyfriend lately has been seeming to take things personally lately or think I'll mean things towards him when I don't. For example, a couple weeks ago we were talking about that one Adele song where it's like "we could have had it all..." and we started singing it cause it was stuck in our heads from being stuck in the car and hearing it. So I joked and said "if I wrote that song I would make it go, 'we could have had it all. but you had to be a douche". and then my boyfriend said "not me right? you don't mean me right?" and I reassured him that of course it had nothing to do with him. Then today we were talking about Hulk Hogan. We were talking about how his wife left him and my boyfriend said "because he doesn't do anything" and after he said that I laughed and I plugged my phone in (since I asked for a charger and he got it for me) and said "thank you" right after he said the comment about hulk hogan (since simultaneously I was plugging my phone in while we were talking so I said thank you) and my boyfriend said "what?" and I was like "what? i said thank you" and he said "oh, I thought you said 'like you' after I said how hulk hogan doesn't do anything i thought you said 'like you' as if it was like me." and I told him of course not and why would I say that. Why do you think my boyfriend has been doing that lately? He seems to take things more personally now. He can be sarcastic sometimes and joke or be a little offensive sometimes but otherwise he is sweet. But does he personally think he's not a good enough boyfriend possibly?

Well ... he may indeed be either paranoid or insecure.

Maybe you did or said something which has stuck with him, so that now each time you say something that sounds as though it could be a criticism, he assumes it is directed at him.

Another possibility is that it could be guilt on his part about something he has done, or might do.

Either way, reassure him and at least put any insecurities he might have at ease.
    -... --- --- -... .. . ...

Before he has told me he hasn't been treating me as well as he should. Because one time a month ago we had a little disagreement and it seemed as if it was all figured out at the time but apparently it wasn't because he was a little bitter and cold towards me after it. I kept asking him if anything was bothering him and how he could tell me anything and he ignored my question and would just answer with "thanks". He would be way more sarcastic and seemed sort of distance. Something just seemed wrong but on the outside we continued seeing each other so I almost thought things were okay even though I had a weird feeling at the time they weren't. I told him how I didn't feel like he was being as nice to me as he once had been and then he agreed with me and said "you are right, I have been a jerk. and I am sorry. you don't deserve that". Then one day when we were together he sat me down and started talking. he swore we were "losing our connection" all because we had one discussion and he couldn't see my side of it. So he thought we were "drifting apart" But this was last month. But he is very sensitive. When that happened he cried (and he's cried in front of me before over other things), which I was confused because I didn't feel as if we were drifting apart, I thought everything seemed the same it's just he kept a grudge and held in his feelings for two weeks prior to telling me it bothered him that he couldn't see my side of our one little argument. Which to me it was barely an argument, we weren't yelling, no one was mad, he just couldn't understand where I was coming from. So he thought that meant something was wrong, as if we weren't as close all because he couldn't relate to me and thought differently/had his own opinion. So he thought he was right over what he believed in the argument that time, and then I thought I was right. I told him that when he sat me down a month ago and discussed how we won't always think the same and will have some differences and it was all because we both thought we were right and were being stubborn. Which he agreed to and was "relieved" to know it was just that. He can still joke and be a little sarcastic now but that's just his personality. One time I mentioned how we should do more together datewise, but it was nothing negative, and now suddenly he is finally taking that advice and offering to do more with me. It's like all the sudden he wants to change and make everything seem more fun/better. But I don't understand why he would be so insecure. I tell him all the time how amazing he is and how much I care for him and love him and all the things I like about him. Could it be that he is afraid that when I go off to college he thinks it won't work out or I'd meet another guy? I reassure him all the time that I chose to live at home rather than on campus so we could be able to see each other still on a few week days/nights. And also how on weekends we could always hang out too and when I'd have breaks. I tell him all the time that despite us going to different schools this year that we will make it work and that we will still stay in touch and see each other and that nothing should or would change between us. I tell him all the time how he's the only guy I'd ever want to be with. And he still likes talking about our future sometimes, and he's usually the one that brings it up first. Like how nice it would be to one day get married, have a house, and have "lots of kids". So I don't quite understand how he'd feel as if I'd be criticizing him because I am not mean or I don't say negative things about him. I always tell him how I love him and more. I don't understand why he wouldn't feel good enough or doubt himself.
    Last edited by Twiz; 06-08-11 at 10:06 PM.