+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting to know women you barely know (building rapport)

*sigh*

Richard, until surf called you a retard, he had some good suggestions.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    *sigh*

Richard, until surf called you a retard, he had some good suggestions.
    Well...in a fun, light hearted kind of way

They're still good suggestions.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Oh indeed. I'm just not overly fond of the 'r' word. I know I use it myself too much but having a son with a disability makes me cringe when I hear it thrown around. Oh and when I use it, I'm only ever calling me one and I usually call me an effing retard. I need to change my language.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

lol.. I combine the two words to form "fvcktard."

I concede I need to cut it out too.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    lol.. I combine the two words to form "fvcktard."

I concede I need to cut it out too.
    I use that one too. Wife hates it, as she works with developmentally disabled adults, and is in school to be a Special Ed teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    I use that one too. Wife hates it, as she works with developmentally disabled adults, and is in school to be a Special Ed teacher.
    I use that one too, but also have to stop it.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What? We aren't allowed to call someone mentally retarded anymore? Isn't that a function of their IQ? Someone under 90 = retarded, particularly if they developed slower than the population mean less, say, 1 stdev? End of.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    What? We aren't allowed to call someone mentally retarded anymore? Isn't that a function of their IQ? Someone under 90 = retarded, particularly if they developed slower than the population mean less, say, 1 stdev? End of.
    The word retarded now has the same stigma as spastic, Indi. If you call someone with cerebal palsy a spastic ... prepare to be stoned these days. Same with the word retard.

Taking it to a personal level, if my son was born 40 yrs ago, he would have been diagnosed as 'retarded'. He probably never would have learnt to speak and no one would have assumed he had any talents to speak of. At this point we can't accurately get an idea of his IQ but he is certainly NOT stupid.

So you are both right and wrong and in this day and age of PCnes it's always best to err on the side of caution.

Oh and according to Oprah today the average IQ is 100 points. If 90 or under makes you mentally impaired that makes a lot of the planet morons.

Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    Oh and according to Oprah today the average IQ is 100 points. If 90 or under makes you mentally impaired that makes a lot of the planet morons.
    The Intelligence Quotient is periodically updated and adjusted so that 100 is the median, so that's accurate. Which means that half of everyone you meet falls below that line. An IQ of less than 70 is considered "retarded". Over 70 is considered to be on the slow side of the normal range.

Wait, so are we actually discussing the likelihood of me being a retard (excuse me, mentally handicapped)? haha

Quote Originally Posted by richardwordoff View Post
    Wait, so are we actually discussing the likelihood of me being a retard (excuse me, mentally handicapped)? haha
    Ummm.....Yeah....pretty much. You sound like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh

Hey man, you just crossed the line.

Back to the discussion, is there anything left to say?

Quote Originally Posted by richardwordoff View Post
    Lol. I know I wasn't. I was stating the unPCness of using the word retard.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast