+ Follow This Topic
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting to know women you barely know (building rapport)

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    So? there are just as many or more who can do the same job (or better) without the intensive training.

I think we have a fundamental difference in philosophy. I don't think its ever about bringing up the least to the mean. Its about raising the best even higher.
    Thank you ever so much for assuming that someone with a disability can't be the best.

These astronauts you keep mentioning wouldn't get anywhere without people on the autism spectrum. Something like 80% of NASAs employees are on the spectrum. They are prone to extraordinary focus and their limited interests often angle towards maths.

But lets not give them the help they need to meet their potential because they have the potential to be a drain on society.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Does this mean it would be okay for me to say something like: "Stop acting like your IQ is under 90?"

On Topic: OP: I got the impression that you were an Aspi. Forgive me for that assumption however most of us learn to be social in grade school and our ability to be naturally social usually improves with age and experience. You paint a picture of yourself having been, at the very least, home schooled.

As was mentioned a couple of times now, stop worrying and thinking so much and get out there and DO. First hand experience is how you'll learn... not listening to us and what we have to say about your shit.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    OP: I got the impression that you were an Aspi. Forgive me for that assumption however most of us learn to be social in grade school and our ability to be naturally social usually improves with age and experience. You paint a picture of yourself having been, at the very least, home schooled.
    Really? I don't think he's much different from myself and I've not been diagnosed with any disorder and wasn't home schooled.
    I think he just needs a bit experience.
    You can't buy love, but you pay heavily for it.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    Thank you ever so much for assuming that someone with a disability can't be the best.

These astronauts you keep mentioning wouldn't get anywhere without people on the autism spectrum. Something like 80% of NASAs employees are on the spectrum. They are prone to extraordinary focus and their limited interests often angle towards maths.

But lets not give them the help they need to meet their potential because they have the potential to be a drain on society.
    I said nothing about autism. Particularly high-functioning autism. Remember I'm a scientist. I am more than familiar with that phenotype. A high-functioning autistic of the sort you refer to will do exceptionally well on a graduate-level math exam. That is not what we were discussing.

We were discussing the word retard. Don't transfer your issues on this subject to me, Minx.

I have no problem helping people w/disabilities. Again, look to yourself for filling in the blanks of my posts. What I am saying is that we shouldn't lower our standards for any job or discipline, particularly one that is of a high-tech/professional nature. Either someone can compete or they cannot. If they have disabilities such that they cannot compete with those who do not, then they don't belong in that job of field. End of.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Does this mean it would be okay for me to say something like: "Stop acting like your IQ is under 90?"
    Apparently not. Eventually we won't be allowed to say anything about anyone.

@ Minx. People are NOT created equal. I'm pretty smart compared to the average, possibly even slightly autistic (tho not nearly as much as other scientists I know). I'm even a fair musician in my spare time. But I will NEVER be an opera singer or concert pianist. I am, however, smart enough to realize it would be a huge waste of my time to try to be such.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    Really? I don't think he's much different from myself and I've not been diagnosed with any disorder and wasn't home schooled.
    I think he just needs a bit experience.
    You know yourself the best, but you don't come across as being "like him" in your everyday posts. You sound naive and shy. To me: OP sounds much more then that, for lack of a better way of describing the vibe I'm getting from him. (????)

Have you learned anything from this thread then, YAG?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    Indi, I thought we lived in a more humane society than that. Your lack of humanity shocks and appalls me.
    Shrug. Be shocked. Standards are declining b/c of people with your attitude. Unrealistic expectations is one of the reasons we have riots in place like London. Those teenagers all think an awful lot of themselves and with no accomplishments to back up their attitude. The other is that overachieving assholes who actually aren't that smart are allowed to take positions of power in areas like handling global financial systems. Noone challenges these idiots b/c people think they have a "right" to do what they do. Middle managers, bureaucrats, its all part of the same problem. The 50% who should never have gone to university and should have learned a trade or gone to college instead. Probably would have been a lot happier too. I interact with these kinds of people and they are miserable when the smarter, better people make them feel inadequate. The reason for unions, btw, to protect these mediocre sorts.

Anyway, some of us need to get to work.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

We were discussing the word retard. Don't transfer your issues on this subject to me, Minx.

I have no problem helping people w/disabilities. Again, look to yourself for filling in the blanks of my posts. What I am saying is that we shouldn't lower our standards for any job or discipline, particularly one that is of a high-tech/professional nature. Either someone can compete or they cannot. If they have disabilities such that they cannot compete with those who do not, then they don't belong in that job of field. End of.
    This I have no problem with.

I do think it hurts us not in the least to refrain from using the word "retard" as a pejorative - and again, I'm guilty of doing the same thing. Many retarded people are high-functioning enough to know what you're saying, the operative word here being people. It's no more right than calling somebody who's had a double amputation of their legs "stumpy", but we assume because they're not as bright that they don't understand. Sometimes they do.

The earth is full... Go home.

That retarded kid from "Life goes on" probably got more pussy then I have.. so hes obviously doing something right. lol

Have you learned anything from this thread then, YAG?
    Probably nothing new since I've gained some practical experience lately.
    But I do see myself of a year ago in him. To some extent.
    You can't buy love, but you pay heavily for it.

On Topic: OP: I got the impression that you were an Aspi. Forgive me for that assumption however most of us learn to be social in grade school and our ability to be naturally social usually improves with age and experience. You paint a picture of yourself having been, at the very least, home schooled.

As was mentioned a couple of times now, stop worrying and thinking so much and get out there and DO. First hand experience is how you'll learn... not listening to us and what we have to say about your shit.
    There is absolutely no problem with saying that wake up.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Apparently not. Eventually we won't be allowed to say anything about anyone.

@ Minx. People are NOT created equal. I'm pretty smart compared to the average, possibly even slightly autistic (tho not nearly as much as other scientists I know). I'm even a fair musician in my spare time. But I will NEVER be an opera singer or concert pianist. I am, however, smart enough to realize it would be a huge waste of my time to try to be such.
    I never said people are created equal. I know very well that life is not fair and isn't supposed to be.

What has gotten to me about your posts is you seem to be implying that putting energy and attention into people with disabilities so they can reach their potential is a waste of time and effort. You stated that there are people more suited to the job without the intensive training. Do you then consider it unfair that my son is in a class of 7 with a teacher and an aide to help them while the average child is in a class of 22 with 1 teacher? Please clarify this for me, because I'd hate to start disliking you over this.

And yes, I was having a super sensitive day yesterday and definitely took your comments personally. Once you have a child with a disability, you see the potential in all peoples with disabilities. That doesn't mean I think we should have someone with down syndrome should be the next prime minister, I can be realistic. I guess I just wonder where your line is for helping these kids out. You said you see people in uni getting extra help while the good students get nothing, so when should we cut off helping people out? Uni? High school? Primary? Do we just not educate those that are difficult to educate?

PS not that anyone is likely to care but part of my super sensitivity yesterday came from the fact that I had been told my son is being bullied on the bus and both the school and the bus company is saying it's the others responsibility to do something about it. In an ideal world I would have been able to detach from my emotions before responding here, but this is the biggest blow I have taken since coming off anti depressants and it enraged me. I literally saw red for a good portion of yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    This I have no problem with.

I do think it hurts us not in the least to refrain from using the word "retard" as a pejorative - and again, I'm guilty of doing the same thing. Many retarded people are high-functioning enough to know what you're saying, the operative word here being people. It's no more right than calling somebody who's had a double amputation of their legs "stumpy", but we assume because they're not as bright that they don't understand. Sometimes they do.
    ^^^^ this!

Jeez how did I miss this...?

Sorry, Indi, didn't notice this before I wrote my last rant. please disregard some of my last rant.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Don't apologize, Minx. It was an interesting exchange. I'm curious about the 'some' part now, tho. LOL.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast