+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted

Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    So some of you may have noticed I have been a little bitchy lately. Some of you may also recall that I have recently come off anti depressants. I'm starting to wonder if I can truly cope with out them. My patience is waning, I'm a lot more snappy and I keep having random bouts of anxiety (though I still got the anxiety on the ADs). I wouldn't consider myself depressed though. Yes I know I should be talking to my dr but that costs money I'd rather avoid spending if I can. I guess I keep hoping I will stabilise soon and I think I also hope I am simply PMSing. :p

So my querie is, should I keep off them or should I go back on them?

PS I am only asking for opinions or similar experiences and I won't be treating anyones words like gospel.
    You should never go off of an anti-dep. without instructions from your doctor on how to do it because you need to wean yourself off them rather than go cold turkey.

If you did go cold turkey, maybe that is whats causing the sudden mood swings.

FWIW... You are not displaying any mood swings in here. We're all intitled to our own opinions some of which can be swayed through dialogue and others which we will never be swayed from.

Maybe go to a health store and see what they recommend for stress/anxiety/moodiness. I'm hearing good things about Melatonin.

To add: I went through a bit of a dark period wherein the Doc discovered I was totally low on Vitamin D. Once I started on supplemental D, I felt 100% better. Did your doc ever check your "D" levels?
    Last edited by Wakeup; 14-08-11 at 06:28 AM.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Well done for taking yourself off the meds. I've been there before and it can be hell!

You'll feel better about yourself the longer you are off meds and able to control your moods. However I would suggest that if you have a problem with a particular emotion (ie anger, sadness) it may be worth it to look deeper into why it causes you such disruption. Therapy can help you learn new tools to manage emotions. Cognitive behavioural therapy can work quite well.

I'd be wary of using any herbal teas unless you've spoken with your doctor, nutritionist or dietitian. Some can be contraindicant to the drugs that may still be in your system (particularly valerian and st johns wort). However I would second the melatonin suggestion by Wakeup - or 5HTP both are good for relaxation and sleep.

While traits may be heritable this doesn't mean that you cannot change them if you choose to.
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make our world.

“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” – Lao Tzu

Every medicine has its own period of usage. eventually the patient will have to stop taking it. but this must be done under supervision
    you can always PM me with your diagnosed issue, the names of your medication and how long have you been using them... and I'll help you with the rest.
    "It's all George's fault. All that talk about impotence. He got to me. And that orgasm stuff: orgasm this and orgasm that. It's a lot of pressure!" Jerry Seinfeld

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenswaiting View Post
    W

I'd be wary of using any herbal teas unless you've spoken with your doctor, nutritionist or dietitian. Some can be contraindicant to the drugs that may still be in your system (particularly valerian and st johns wort). However I would second the melatonin suggestion by Wakeup - or 5HTP both are good for relaxation and sleep.
    Its true about the herbals, but they tend to be more gentle on the system, which is why I suggested them. Melatonin is not recommended to take on a regular basis. Eat bananas instead.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

How'd you come off em'?
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Thank you every one for your replies.

Keichi. A combination of weaning and cold turkey. The doc halved my dose (I was on 10 mg Lexapro) and I was on that for 4 weeks. I then went to nothing a couple of weeks ago.

For those suggesting herbals, I have been taking something called SAMe which has been helping stop my thoughts from scattering. In the past when I have gone cold turkey off ADs a found a homeopathic remedy called Sepia that is brilliant for taking the edge of moods. it was what I had gone down town with mum to get when I realised I didn't have the key card the other day. The melatonin is also an interesting suggestion because I've had it recommended for my boy (he often has trouble getting to sleep).

I'm looking into therapy again. I will admit I am tired of the mental health system over here. To access free mental health you have to be a danger to yourself or someone else. It's true that all I have to say is "I have an autistic son and I am not coping" and I have a counsellor with in a week, but I sometimes feel I am robbing someone who needs it more from an opportunity. I can get 6 sessions a year subsidised if I go through a Dr. I wonder if that would be enough? I guess it'd be best to try it out.

If I am here around this time tomorrow, can someone give me a boot up the arse and tell me to call my Dr? Would be much appreciated.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    So you were taking 5mg for a month before stopping? That's not going to affect you adversely, its a tiny dose. It probably cleared from your system in 48 hours.

Try the teas I mentioned. In fact, I know that Adore tea (gold creek) carries a number of herbals. You'll have to ask; they don't keep them in the front of the shop. Best fr earl grey Ive ever had from that place, btw.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

MaidenMinx --- Don't you just get tired with the fact you have to supplement your mental health with bullshit in order to provide yourself with the BELIEF it's the only way to lead a "normal"* life.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Kiechi View Post
    MaidenMinx --- Don't you just get tired with the fact you have to supplement your mental health with bullshit in order to provide yourself with the BELIEF it's the only way to lead a "normal"* life.
    I have never tried for normality. I realised young normality is over-rated.

I'd like to feel mentally healthy, and yes I get tired of the fact that it feels like I need so much assistance with that. I have come to wonder if I am permanently mentally scarred (abusive childhood, drug abuse etc).
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    So you were taking 5mg for a month before stopping? That's not going to affect you adversely, its a tiny dose. It probably cleared from your system in 48 hours.

Try the teas I mentioned. In fact, I know that Adore tea (gold creek) carries a number of herbals. You'll have to ask; they don't keep them in the front of the shop. Best fr earl grey Ive ever had from that place, btw.
    So your opinion would be that I am no longer withdrawing from them? Damn it! I thought I had an excuse for my current lack of emotional stability.

I'm not a fan of hot drinks, so I'm not fond of the tea idea. I'll be wandering down to the health food shop today though to have a chat to the wonderful ladies down there. They have been ever so helpful in the past and seem to really know what they are on about.

Thanks for the advice and support guys. It can be difficult feeling 'damaged' and it can be even harder to believe that you can overcome it. The support from here and from my hubby and mum is helping a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    I have never tried for normality. I realised young normality is over-rated.

I'd like to feel mentally healthy, and yes I get tired of the fact that it feels like I need so much assistance with that. I have come to wonder if I am permanently mentally scarred (abusive childhood, drug abuse etc).
    Let me define normal. To be able to lead a life on the same equal playing field as everyone else. Also, what drugs yo?

Pretty much, name it and I tried it. But to be specific, started with pot and my bros dexamphetamines at 15. Speed and Acid followed shortly after. I had a brief spat with heroin (didn't get addicted thank f**k). Ecstasy was a lot of fun. Ice and coke I never paid for but sampled often.

Had an more on than off daily pot habit for nearly 15 years. I was describing to my hubby the other day just how much acid I consumed between the ages of 15 and 23. It's quite scary. The last time I tripped I had about 8 tabs. Awesome night but the headache I had for 3 weeks afterwards which made me worry.

It always seems pot is involved. There definitely must be a link somewhere. As for acid, yo hardcore yo! Definitely not head strong enough for that stuff. Though I thoroughly enjoyed mushrooms to the point I started thinkin' everyone was out to rape my GF. But that was AFTER I had a joint... Scary thought when yo sittin' there on a beach in Thailand trying to piss into a newly dug hole (Which didn't work either, ended up just pissing down my thigh).

Oh I forgot mushrooms. The first time I took shrooms was THE most intense drug experience of my life. Scared the absolute shit out of me.

I'd take shrooms over acid anyday...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast