+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Opinions wanted

i always knew you were certifiable.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

lol misombra. I completely agree. The professionals don't though. :p
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    Well, I'm still anti-depressant free and have found a new counselor. I realised that I'm not depressed, I'm just really really bored. I found a homeopathic remedy to help stabilise my moods. I also was informed that because I started experimenting with substances at such a young age I have permanently ****ed with my brain chemistry and will probably never be 'normal'. I was also informed that the same substance abuse has left me a li'l developmentally delayed.

On top of all this I had an unexplained seizure 3 weeks ago. I think it was linked to energy drinks.
    Off antidepressants = good
    Homeopathy = garbage (well, its placebo so save your $)

I hope you didn't actually pay the idiot who said you have permanently ****ed your brain chemistry. How does s/he know? Did they take a sample of your CSF and measure your neurotransmitter levels? Relative to what standard? Even a neurologist would never tell you that, for exactly that reason (they don't know).

Did I ever mention I hate self-proclaimed experts who aren't?

You are fine, Minx. The bored part is probably right. I can relate.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Off antidepressants = good

I hope you didn't actually pay the idiot who said you have permanently ****ed your brain chemistry. How does s/he know? Did they take a sample of your CSF and measure your neurotransmitter levels? Relative to what standard? Even a neurologist would never tell you that, for exactly that reason (they don't know).

Did I ever mention I hate self-proclaimed experts who aren't?

You are fine, Minx. The bored part is probably right. I can relate.
    You make me smile and giggle, Indi. I like that.

The homeopathic remedy may be a placebo but it's not too expensive and it seems to help my moods. Even if I am tricking myself, it works and I am happy with that.

Not paying the person who said I ****ed my brain chemistry and no they didn't do any tests. He is a drug and alcohol councelor so yes, definitely a self proclaimed expert. Going to keep going to said councellor though. I can't afford a private one and these guys seem to have time on their hands so they might actually help me work through some crap rather than applying mental bandaids.

I must admit I would find it hilarious if I discover I have simply ALWAYS been bored and that's what lead to the experimentation with substances as a teen, which then lead to me feeling like my brain is screwed.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

I must admit I would find it hilarious if I discover I have simply ALWAYS been bored and that's what lead to the experimentation with substances as a teen, which then lead to me feeling like my brain is screwed.
    Probably that. Alot of teens use drugs to escape the reality of boredem, especially in rural areas here in oz. Dont be quick to diagnose yourself, just yet. Maybe find a hobby thats like hands on. Are you creative like that?
    What about cooking? Good food makes you feel good, and stay away from those crappy energy drinks.

That's a rather broad and sweeping statement.

Many modern (and not so modern) medications have come from homeopathic remedies - willow bark really does contain salicylic acid, and Excedrin doesn't contain caffeine by accident. Homeopathic remedies is MOSTLY bunk though.

Quote Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
    Probably that. Alot of teens use drugs to escape the reality of boredem, especially in rural areas here in oz. Dont be quick to diagnose yourself, just yet. Maybe find a hobby thats like hands on. Are you creative like that?
    What about cooking? Good food makes you feel good, and stay away from those crappy energy drinks.
    Sick of all my hobbies and cooking is something I love but my kitchen is in such desperate need of repair that cooking is a headache.

I do know I suffered depression and anxiety before I hit my teens. I also remember being 14 and saying to my best friend at the time that I wanted to try every drug there is to try. Made a good effort at it too before realizing that there are some really scary drugs out there.

I've been seriously considering yoga as something new to do and i'm slowly getting into gardening. I'm currently attempting my first real vege patch.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    That's a rather broad and sweeping statement.

Many modern (and not so modern) medications have come from homeopathic remedies - willow bark really does contain salicylic acid, and Excedrin doesn't contain caffeine by accident. Homeopathic remedies is MOSTLY bunk though.
    I made the statment b/c its true. You (and many others) confuse natural medicine with homeopathy. I have no problems with herbal extracts, I use some myself.

Homeopathy, on the other hand has no scientific basis. Their 'methodology' uses extreme dilution protocols (usually 10x10) that go beyond Avogadros number: meaning there is not *a single molecule* of the original substance left in the water they dilute in. Their claimed mechanism is some 'quantum effect' on the water molecules that give it 'memory'. There is NO scientific evidence for such an effect. The homeopaths claim there is a scientific 'conspiracy' that is hiding the evidence. LOL. Sounds almost like a cult, yes? Scientists would be the first ones to get excited about a new physical-molecular theory.

Homeopathy effects are the same as placebo. Little white sugar pills.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    There is NO scientific evidence for such an effect. The homeopaths claim there is a scientific 'conspiracy' that is hiding the evidence. LOL. Sounds almost like a cult, yes? Scientists would be the first ones to get excited about a new physical-molecular theory.
    Worse. It sounds like organized religion.

You know my basic response these days to "it can't be proven there fore it's not true" is simply "yes and once upon a time no one believed in germs" which usually sends me into a discussion about the limitations of science and the simple fact that we don't have a test for everything yet and there is still a lot we don't understand.

Having said that, I am open to the possibility that homeopathy is bunkum and that my sepia pillules could very well be a placebo. At the same time, while I feel an effect I will keep taking them.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No, you don't understand. There ARE studies done to show efficacy. They have all failed. There is no difference b/t placebo and homeopathy remedy. That means it doesn't work.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Indi, you are talking to someone who believes in magic. It will take an amazing anouncement for me to believe that science has the answers. And I know that technically science isn't about belief, but it takes belief in something to develop the test to prove something.

I made the statment b/c its true. You (and many others) confuse natural medicine with homeopathy. I have no problems with herbal extracts, I use some myself.

Homeopathy, on the other hand has no scientific basis. Their 'methodology' uses extreme dilution protocols (usually 10x10) that go beyond Avogadros number: meaning there is not *a single molecule* of the original substance left in the water they dilute in. Their claimed mechanism is some 'quantum effect' on the water molecules that give it 'memory'. There is NO scientific evidence for such an effect. The homeopaths claim there is a scientific 'conspiracy' that is hiding the evidence. LOL. Sounds almost like a cult, yes? Scientists would be the first ones to get excited about a new physical-molecular theory.

Homeopathy effects are the same as placebo. Little white sugar pills.
    Heh... you're right. I'd known that a long time ago, but forgotten it.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Indi, you are talking to someone who believes in magic. It will take an amazing anouncement for me to believe that science has the answers. And I know that technically science isn't about belief, but it takes belief in something to develop the test to prove something.
    Minx, if you want to be convinced about science, unplug your computer/let is discharge. Then try using magic to get it to turn on. See what happens.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345