+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted

Opinions wanted

So some of you may have noticed I have been a little bitchy lately. Some of you may also recall that I have recently come off anti depressants. I'm starting to wonder if I can truly cope with out them. My patience is waning, I'm a lot more snappy and I keep having random bouts of anxiety (though I still got the anxiety on the ADs). I wouldn't consider myself depressed though. Yes I know I should be talking to my dr but that costs money I'd rather avoid spending if I can. I guess I keep hoping I will stabilise soon and I think I also hope I am simply PMSing. :p

So my querie is, should I keep off them or should I go back on them?

PS I am only asking for opinions or similar experiences and I won't be treating anyones words like gospel.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Frankly, I'd try if I were you. One of my ex's (who is still a good friend of mine) has some permanent neurological and physical issues resulting from long-term use of anti-depressants. I know therapy's expensive, but have you considered it?

Thanks HIA.

Been in and out of therapy since I was 16. Not seeing a counsellor at the moment. All my therapists in the past have been psychologists and I am seriously considering talking to my dr about a referral to a psychiatrist. I've been wondering for a while if I have something more than just depression and anxiety. Actually I'm over considering it, I'm going to do it.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    Thanks HIA.

Been in and out of therapy since I was 16. Not seeing a counsellor at the moment. All my therapists in the past have been psychologists and I am seriously considering talking to my dr about a referral to a psychiatrist. I've been wondering for a while if I have something more than just depression and anxiety. Actually I'm over considering it, I'm going to do it.
    Bleah... I dunno if it's different down under, but here psychiatrists seem to want to prescribe meds and get you out of the office. Psychologists to me seemed much more inclined to do the "sit down and talk about it" approach.

Being on anti depressants is hard then coming off them is hard(hell)but you need to break from them for a while they are all highly addictive so my opinion is to go to a herbalist if you can afford it and get a relative natural substitute to take the edge off for you they arent always so strong but it may help, tell him the other drugs you take and he will be able to make a good substitute.It is severely stressed that other drugs are considered important to their possible reaction to the herbs.Research herbal medication inform yourself they do work and have less side effects and if you can cope brilliant if not then you need to see your doctor money is important but your health is there even if money isnt.
    Good luck my thoughts are with you
    A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable.
    Robert Fripp

HIA, i am concerned about that possibility. The desire to see a psychiatrist also stems from the suspicion that I am some where on the spectrum with my son. I'd like to know either way for sure.

Kyrina, thank you for reminding me! My mum went and got me some SAMe the other day and I've been meaning to get some sepia. The SAMe helps my brain function (I'm constantly losing words and it stops that.) and the sepia is good for keeping my moods a li'l (LOT) more stable.

Thanks guys!

If you're not depressed, then stay off them.

As for the other behaviours, try and be a bit more conscious of them as they creep up on you and take step back if you feel you are becoming irate or emotional.

Meds have their place, but being able to control your own mood and behaviour on your own is a reward in itself and a psycological boost i.e. knowing you don't always need to be reliant on medications to control yourself.

I feel as though l'm rambling. I've had a long day and typing on my iPhone is annoying.
    -... --- --- -... .. . ...

My current gf takes anti-depressents to keep her mood stable, not so much about depression anymore. She has been on them for far longer than I've known her and honestly I don't know if they're what is leveling her mood or if she just simply doesn't need them anymore but uses them for the placebo effect.

Either way, whether you're on or off, talk to your doctor about how you feel now that you're off. You might just want to stay on them a bit longer until you feel ready to kick them. Based on your recent posts I don't think you're in the right state of mind yet, one of your posts reminded me of DH from a few months back.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    what about bob has saved my life.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Quote Originally Posted by Cerby View Post
    My current gf takes anti-depressents to keep her mood stable, not so much about depression anymore. She has been on them for far longer than I've known her and honestly I don't know if they're what is leveling her mood or if she just simply doesn't need them anymore but uses them for the placebo effect.

Either way, whether you're on or off, talk to your doctor about how you feel now that you're off. You might just want to stay on them a bit longer until you feel ready to kick them. Based on your recent posts I don't think you're in the right state of mind yet, one of your posts reminded me of DH from a few months back.
    May I ask which thread that was in? I'd just like to see where I'm whining.

I know I'm not in a great state of mind. I don't really want to go back on the bloody things now that I am weaned off because it's not easy to kick. I do wonder if some of my moods are withdrawal related, but you are right, I should go talk to my Doctor. I will be doing so this week.

As someone that has never really been in full control of my moods except when medicated I want to give myself a chance to learn how to be in control without meds. I'm 31 and don't intend on leaving this planet for at least another 40 years. The idea of being dependant on mood stabilisers for that long is not a happy one. I feel like a drug addict, and the fact that they are legal doesn't really help that.

I think you should stay off the meds as long as your moods don't start disrupting important aspects of your life. Being a little bitchier is better then putting up with the downsides of meds. We think this stuff is safe but just about every other day you see a new lawsuit being filed against one drug or another because of some unforeseen horrible side effects. Also as you mentioned, the effect it has on ones confidence is awful. Nobody should be led to believe they are so broken they need drugs to live a normal life. Unless they actually are of course, which I don't sense from you so far.

I haven't seen what Cerby is saying, but I don't read every post in the forum. Give yourself that time to walk without crutches and see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by leoben View Post
    I think you should stay off the meds as long as your moods don't start disrupting important aspects of your life. Being a little bitchier is better then putting up with the downsides of meds. We think this stuff is safe but just about every other day you see a new lawsuit being filed against one drug or another because of some unforeseen horrible side effects. Also as you mentioned, the effect it has on ones confidence is awful. Nobody should be led to believe they are so broken they need drugs to live a normal life. Unless they actually are of course, which I don't sense from you so far.

I haven't seen what Cerby is saying, but I don't read every post in the forum. Give yourself that time to walk without crutches and see if it works.
    Some days I wonder if I am that broken. Then I wonder if I wonder if I'm that broken because it would be easier to give up and say I am broken than it is to work at fixing myself.

I was pleased with myself yesterday. I went down town with my mum to get some things, when hubby called. In our conversation he mentioned he had the key card. I thought I had it in my wallet. I suddenly realised that everything I had gone down town to do couldn't be done and I flashed into anger, exclaiming "F**K" rather loudly. Usually without meds sudden anger like that will stick with me for ages and I'll stew for quite a while, putting myself down for being an idiot and working myself into a funk. Yesterday though, I got straight into problem solving mode and was over my initial rush of anger in moments.

So there is progress. I think I just need to keep reminding myself of that.

Quote Originally Posted by leoben View Post
    Hope your not a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    May I ask which thread that was in? I'd just like to see where I'm whining.

I know I'm not in a great state of mind. I don't really want to go back on the bloody things now that I am weaned off because it's not easy to kick. I do wonder if some of my moods are withdrawal related, but you are right, I should go talk to my Doctor. I will be doing so this week.

As someone that has never really been in full control of my moods except when medicated I want to give myself a chance to learn how to be in control without meds. I'm 31 and don't intend on leaving this planet for at least another 40 years. The idea of being dependant on mood stabilisers for that long is not a happy one. I feel like a drug addict, and the fact that they are legal doesn't really help that.
    haha shit, I thought this was maxmax posting the original thread, and hes slowly slipping off the deep end. You've actually be pretty collected, so I withdraw my second statement.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You seem completely fine to me Minx. And you have some rather powerful stressors in your life. IMO, people don't seek enough coping mechanisms (exercise, night out w/the girls, this forum) before taking meds. That said, I don't know exactly how old you are. But middle age (+40s) starts to play havoc with us women. Many long-suffering husbands liken it to space aliens taking their wives away for a few years.

If you think it might be hormone related like peri/menopause, talk to your medico. S/he might recommend something. Coffee is a big trigger, and herbal teas can help (try those with St Johns Wort or Valerian). Also, look to your mom for an indication of potential future behaviour, this kind of thing is somewhat heritable. Sorry.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast