+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is it do-able or is my relationship doomed...HELP!!

Is it do-able or is my relationship doomed...HELP!!

Hi everyone! My name is Tanya, Iīm new to this forum...Iīm someone who doesnīt have that much experience with serious relationships so I thought this might be a perfect place to get some ideas and perspectives.

So here is my question for you (I hope this hasnīt already been posted, I looked and didnīt see it) Has anyone here been in a long distance relationship before and did it work out? Iīm in one now and itīs a really long distance! I live in Iceland now (and in a few weeks in Canada) but my boyfriend lives in Spain! It is so far but we donīt want to break up! Anyone have advice? We have been together almost a year and throughout that time practically living together and everything was going perfectly until we had to move to our respective countries (which was heartbreaking!). We donīt know what to do, it is too expensive to visit often and he has to be in Spain for school and I canīt work as a psychologist in Spain so we would have to wait almost a year to live in the same country. Is it worth it? Does anyone have experience with this?

Iīm so sorry for this selfish move on my part but I have to ask you guys just in case anyone is willing to help. The only way I can see him soon is if I win this Icelandair contest and get the most īlikesī for my entry about why i want to go to Madrid. If anyone has 10 seconds extra I would ao appreciate it if you could click LIKE to help me win, but I understand that maybe people donīt want to since Iīm new and maybe people arenīt as likely to help someone they donīt know.

[url=http://www.icelandair.is/specials/pages/is/uppahaldsborg/umsogn/item535003/]Tanya Drummond: Uppáhaldsborg er Madrid[/url]

You just have to click on the link and press like (sorry, itīs in Icelandic!). But anyways Iīm more interested to know what you people have to say about long-distance relationships and any advice or success stories you may have.

Thanks a lot and nice to meet you all!
    -Tanya

Hi Tanya,

I have myself been in a long distance relationship ..and when I say long distance I mean very long distance. I live in Australia and my x was in Montengro, Europe. We met summer 2007 in Montenegro when I was on a holiday and everything was perfect!!! He was tall and handsome and too good to be true. Anyways, we ended up staying in contact, texted about a million times a day and spoke whenever we had a chance. I went to see him a few times, but when it came down for him to do something about seeing me, he never did. It all went pear shaped and one day I receive an email from a girl that he was seeing while he was telling me how much he loved me and wanted this to work out. He even got this girl pregnant...it was all just too much. I could never trust or be in a long distance relationship again. I don't mean to scare you, if you trust your boyfriend and if he has proven to you that he wants things to work and he has made an effort than that is a different story, but I guess I just wanted to tell you that my experience was a bad one and I couldn't do it ever again because long distance has scarred me for life!

Good luck with it all

I have no experience in long distance relationships but if love him you should try and make it work. If all you have to do is wait a year then you should push through and make it work, if you both truly love each other it will work.