+ Follow This Topic

Thread: First time went too well. Had to tell her goodbye

First time went too well. Had to tell her goodbye

Hi

I'm a 20-year-old male, from Northern Europe and i'm rather new to relationships. I lost my virginity in a one-night stand 5 months ago, not a big deal, really. Then, a month later, I started dating this girl. To begin with, I actively tried to attract her. But everything soon flowed very naturally, I took her out dancing and she took me out to meet her friends. We both fell in love with each other. However, it could not go on like that.
    I had let her know from the very beginning that I'd be going to China for a year to study. This girl really means a lot to me and, it seems, I'm very special to her. Apparently, she is picky and had been abstaining from sex for about a year until meeting me. She is quite experienced though, sexually and relationship-wise and she says that i'm the one for her, that she has never admired another man as she does me. I'm terribly afraid that I will break her heart. I love her. I cry for her. But being so inexperienced, how am I to know if she is right for me? My second-greatest fear is her waiting for me for a year only to find that I've lost interest or fallen in love with somebody else.
    So before leaving, I asked her not to wait for me. She broke out in tears. We had a long talk about our possible future together and we settled upon a year of reflection time where we would be free to play around with other partners. I think she believes that we will be together again. As I type this I'm 3 days into my stay in China and I still hope (I think) that that we will but who knows if I'll still feel that way in a year? Was it wrong of me to keep her hopes alive? Should I instead have broken up with her, making a clear cut? If I find myself attracted to another girl during this year, I do intend to try it out with her. My greatest fear, perhaps, would be getting back with this girl and having her believe that i'm hers while in truth, she isn't right for me.
    I'm at a loss for what to do. We did agree not to be exclusive during our reflection period but I still fear that I'll hurt her. Should I break up with her? I would have to do it by e-mail which would be terrible. But perhaps it's my only option?

Thankyou

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Bottom line, she thinks you are a good catch so is telling you these things in the hopes you won't play the field a bit more and discover she may not be all that special.

Or maybe she is. But the only way you will know is to experience other women. At your age, you are much too young to settle. If she tries to manipulate you otherwise, then you know her true motives. If she really loves you, she will understand your need to discover these things for yourself. You both have lots of time. You are correct to set her free for now.

Good luck, enjoy your time in China.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you agreed not to be exclusive, it's the same as breaking up in this case. Just enjoy your time there.

Yeah I agree with Mathias if you agreed to be non exclusive just let it go for now.

If you meet someone in China and stay there then worry about it then but otherwise just enjoy your time in China and leave your options open for when you get home.

you left the situation in the best way possible. Hopefully in this year you may experience some other girls so when you go back you will be able to make better judgement

I don't think being young is the reason you should break up with her. Sometimes, if a person makes you feel happy and satisfied already then there is no need to see what else is out there. You would risk losing someone very special. But if you are already having doubts to weather she is the right one for you and having thoughts about experimenting then you are not in the position to be in exclusive long distance relationship. Maybe stay friends with her for now if she is willing. It is just one year so at least there is a deadline.